Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Form notifications not sent when using WP Mail SMTP

This support ticket is created 4 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 56 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by helenmaryC 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I almost forgot, this is the response I got from WP Mail SMTP:

Sanjeev Aryal wrote:

Hi @hmcody,

If you were able to send a test email successfully, it sounds like your WP Mail SMTP settings are all set. When you get a chance could you please check the 'From Email' header from the Toolset Forms. The 'From Email' must be set to the same email address as the email used to set up the SMTP plugin?

I hope this helps!

The 'From Email' must be set to the same email address as the email used to set up the SMTP plugin

That I did not know.
However - if this is the case, then you should edit your Forms Notifications to have the proper From Email Address set, because Forms will use default otherwise (usually as set in your WordPress Settings).
Currently, you use the email as I describe it here https://toolset.com/forums/topic/form-notifications-not-sent-when-using-wp-mail-smtp-2/#post-1277285
You'd need to head to the Toolset Form and open the notifications and set those From Emails to the ones required by SMTP.
There is a section "Notification e-mail from:", where you can change that.

Note that when Google mail is, for example, a shared email where many users have an account such as in a company's Google mail, then sending emails to those addresses from WordPress with any but a domain's address will fail, especially when sending those emails to a Group address. These are Google restrictions, you can avoid them by using an email of the same domain as the "Email From", this is basically what the WP Mail SMTP also seems to suggest.
But I think this is not the issue here, as the emails do not send either to single receivers (like my private Gmail I used).
Just, we need to keep this in mind too.

Related to your reply https://toolset.com/forums/topic/form-notifications-not-sent-when-using-wp-mail-smtp-2/#post-1279617, I apologise - I mean the email did indeed not send, it was however logged by the WP Mail Logger, and that is why I need the test without the SMTP and any other plugin, as I think it's a direct conflict with the forwarding of those to/with SMTP and not Toolset directly.
PS, markup is allowed in the forum, but there is no hint anymore about it below the text areas, I am not sure why.
I'll ask our server guys and girls about that and update you (you can use blockquote, em, and so on)

Could you:

1. Try with the proper "from" emails so SMTP agrees with the settings?
2. If that fails, try to confirm that Toolset Forms sends the emails (by removing the SMTP or trying locally, you will see it will work)

I think, when you set the From Email as suggested by the SMTP support it'll work - Please let me know.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-29 um 14.51.00.png

I just notice, Formatting instructions are accessible as shown in the screenshot
However, I am sure blockquote works too 🙂

Could you:

1. Try with the proper "from" emails so SMTP agrees with the settings?
2. If that fails, try to confirm that Toolset Forms sends the emails (by removing the SMTP or trying locally, you will see it will work

The notification IS set to use the default WP Admin account as does WP SMTP, so I don't think that is it.
I started to switch over to a non-gmail account for the default to try without SMTP, but WordPress was being fussy about it. I will get that working today and let you know.

P.S. The little formatting instructions that users can see just mentions [php], , ,

, and

• , not

, so we will see if it works!

Well, the form is surely not set to anything, it just uses the WordPress settings email, I would just try it - it costs 2 minutes and will confirm whether or not this is the issue.
What we need, on the test site, is a way to enable and disable the SMTP quickly, or the steps that will lead us to this conflict.

Then, we can ask the developers to fix a bug. But until now, this is not confirmed, as I cannot send emails as stated even if debug is off/on, but the mail logger logs them, however, no one ever receives those.
So there is a bottleneck in that SMTP config, which we can confirm if by disabling the software things start to work.
Since SMTP suggested as well it might be from the "Email From" setting, I'd try that first.

From there we should then try without SMTP if it still happens

I tried setting the form notification to send from the default email address and it still is not received. I had to re-enable Toolset Types to do it because the form uses a couple of custom fields and the send completely fails (notification doesn't even show up in WP Mail Log) if Types is deactivated.

I'll let you know once I get the admin email changed so I can try without WP SMTP active.

I managed to get the default admin email changed to an account on test.crfcrc.com, de-activated WP SMTP and the notification is both sent and received. Which kind of makes my head spin because using SMTP is supposed to <b>solve</b> send issues, not create them!

I am going to try using a different SMTP plugin and see if that solves the issue. I will let you know.

There is no setting in the form to use a "default" address, you would need to insert the very email in the Form's notification, at the "Notification e-mail from:" section of the form's notification, which is blank right now:
hidden link

The email that SMTP suggests to be the "From Email" must be inserted there.
If that doesn't solve it, we will need to test that form without the SMTP plugin active, which right now, even if deactivated, still seems to block the emails.

Please let me know about whether results are negative or positive.
If negative, we will need to find the steps that lead to this, the easiest is disabling all software, re-enabling it and finding the settings and steps that lead to the issue, then we can try to fix it.

WP Mail Logger lists the emails, so they are passed to wp_mail() and that is what Forms use to send the notifications.
If from there it doesn't work, which is the case, then the software that hijacks wp_mail is culprit, in this case, the SMTP plugin.
Usually, that's due to the different emails used in the From - it may be due to other things as well, however as I confirmed it seems not related to wp_debug, as in both cases, the emails are logged but not received finally by the receiver.

If you use plugins like https://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/ to send notifications, do those work out of the box?
I suspect not, as that would explain SMPT's interference.

Our replies crisscrossed but just confirm each other.

Please let me know the precise steps I need to follow to see the same as you do on the test site, I may be able to help and spot the hidden cause.
Please also consider testing with SMTP and the suggested plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/ - it may help to show who's causing the issue, I can later always as well contact the authors and workout solutions if it's needed.

I tend to use <b> because strong is longer 😉

I used the first page in the Pages list, A Test, which has the user form on it. The form is set to go to the default address which is now an email account on test.crfcrc.com.

I also found a plugin, Post SMTP, that I installed but have not activated. It seems like a more complete solution, and includes both a mail log and a function to send using SMTP. I will give it a try later today.

So far as testing with Contact Form 7, I already use Gravity Forms on the site and there are a LOT of emails sent with it and we never seem to have a problem.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-29 um 19.47.58.png

I made some quick tests on a old ticket of myself here at Toolset, and this is what seems to work:

<blockquote>Defines a section that is quoted from another source</blockquote>
<em>Defines emphasized text </em>
<strong>Defines important text</strong>
LIST (ol does not work)
<ul>
  <li>Coffee</li>
  <li>Tea</li>
  <li>Milk</li>
</ul>
[php]Paste Code Here

[/php]

So you say, the Gravity Forms Forms email go thru perfectly fine, and all Toolset Form Notifications fail?
This would mean it's something in Toolset after all, but as mentioned I'd need the steps to reach this issue, maybe you can elaborate on those after testing the other solutions, and eventually share a copy of the plugin so I can try locally to somehow replicate this to fix it.

Note that the Form you used on the "A Test" page is the same, yes, but as said, it does not feature a From Email.
Please see the screenshot where to insert it.

The screenshot didn't come through.

Note that the Form you used on the "A Test" page is the same, yes, but as said, it does not feature a From Email.

I'm guessing you mean the from email on the form design page? I left that blank so it would just use the default admin email.

The SMTP Support suggested you to insert the email as the From Email there.
You mentioned this here https://toolset.com/forums/topic/form-notifications-not-sent-when-using-wp-mail-smtp-2/page/2/#post-1279619

Sanjeev Aryal wrote:

Hi @hmcody,

If you were able to send a test email successfully, it sounds like your WP Mail SMTP settings are all set. When you get a chance could you please check the 'From Email' header from the Toolset Forms. The 'From Email' must be set to the same email address as the email used to set up the SMTP plugin?

Hence, you would have to insert that email in this field for the notification to set the From Email, if this is what's required by that SMTP service.

Ah! Yes, I did insert the From email on the notification (on the design page) when I still had WP SMTP activated and it didn't work. Now WP SMTP is de-activated, so I set the form back to using defaults and it does work.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.