Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Form notifications not sent when using WP Mail SMTP

This support ticket is created 4 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 56 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by helenmaryC 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

OK great, please let me know if any of the suggested approaches help.

I wasn't able to try my gmail address on the demo site. Gmail won't let me enter the credentials because the site isn't secure and WP SMTP doesn't seem to want to let me enter new credentials anyway.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the cloned site at my testing address. Will try working through with a new form.

As far as I can tell, LiteSpeed is not enabled for my site. It appears that I need to proactively enable it, rather than it being enabled as a default and I have not done that. I am verifying this with the host in case I missed something.

Well, since I successfully registered the site it cannot be that Google does not allow it, as I successfully registered it!

I think, Litespeed is enabled on your site, I saw that in the debug info, it is a LiteSpeed server, so it tells me.

What I can try is to remove the site from my own Gmail. Maybe that is what confuses it, but I see no reason that it should stop due to some HTTP or HTTPS protocol, as I successfully use it on the very same test site.

Did you use OAuth2 with your Google account? I looked, but I can't tell. I think that makes a difference. And my account is a GSuite account which also may be relevant.

I have a ticket into Hawk Host, so I will see what they say.

They just got back to me and you are absolutely right, it is a LiteSpeed server. I will try adding the code you suggested to .htaccess later this morning.

Yes, our company uses Oauth on those Gmail accounts

Please let me know if disabling no abort on LiteSpeed helps 🙂

I finally managed to beat Google into shape and, created a project that will let me send email using my email account and credentials from the demo site. It works just fine on demo, but when I entered the exact same credentials on my test site the email is still not showing up in Sent Mail or being received by the user. So I think we can eliminate Google as the problem.

I am working with the web host to try to figure out if there is something on their end. They don't think it is LiteSpeed, noting that "there is a lot going on" on the server. Would it be possible to send me the setup of the server that demo is on so that I can compare it to what my site is running on? I got this

Server":{"jQueryVersion":"1.12.4-wp","PHPVersion":"7.2.8","MySQLVersion":"5.5.56","ServerSoftware":"Apache\/2.4.26 (Red Hat)"},"PHP":{"MemoryLimit":"512M","UploadMax":"256M","PostMax":"256M","TimeLimit":"600","MaxInputVars":"3000"}},"

from Toolset Debug Info, but I suspect there is more that might be relevant.

Thanks.

That issue with Litespeed cost the other users' host months of debugging 🙂
Litespeed personnel personally pointed them to the issue, so I think they had done some work that is worth to consider here.

Add the snippet to the htaccess just to be sure, it costs one minute and can solve the issue. Or not, we will see.

That issue is very complex, and it could be solved with that snippet if it's it.

If not, I am at a loss of what it could be as it all points towards the server meanwhile.
I can send the data, however, that won't help a lot as it's just generic stuff like PHP version and MySQL - nothing that you do not have on yours.
I'll ask server admins next week to make this available to us.

I did try adding the snippet and it didn't seem to make a difference. 🙁

I think what I am looking for in the server listing is stuff like what additional software is loaded? I know LIteSpeed is not, but is there anything else along those lines? I'm probably grabbing at straws, but it really seems as if it is something on the server if we could just figure out what!

There is not really anything else I know of that could block it, especially not, if the notifications work just fine when you do not use the Google Mailer.

I am at a loss of solutions here as well. The only remaining trick I would try is setting up a copy of or a fresh site on your same server
That will show if it's on the install only or the server in general.
In fact, the tests would have to be 2:
- first try a duplicate of the very site, on the same server
- if that works, then it's clearly a corruption of the original site and eventually overwriting that original with the take copy would then work!
- if that does not solve the issue, and it still happens on the duplicate on the same server but new site, then you'd have to check if creating a FRESH site with fresh forms, on the same server, also shows this issue.
If not, we know the old site is corrupt OR has a configuration issue, while if the duplicate works immediately as well on your same server but new domain/site, then we know it's a corruption (which is rarely solvable)

Another important detail we still miss I actually the mail logs of the servers.
What do they tell? that the emails are queued? or blocked on the mailer queue? The server hosts should be able to tell this.

And the winner is...rarely solvable. Sigh.

Since I had already created a copy of the site and the form notification didn't work on it, I tried setting up a clean site on the same server with just WP SMTP, WP Mail Log, and Toolset Forms installed. I then created a user form with a notification and it worked just fine. So it looks like I have a corrupt installation.

My guess is that the only way to fix it would be to export all of my user data and cpt data using a plug-in, rebuild the site from scratch and then import the data. But that isn't your problem 🙂

Thanks for all of your help on this. Even though we didn't fix it, at least now I know what is going on.

I think I can help you with this, saving you quite an amount of work.
Unfortunately, I've been at your position myself a few times already, so... I can share how I'd do this.

1. We know that your Forms and notifications, I mean the original ones, actually work on a new install (the sandbox I had set up for this proves it).
2. We know your Gmail App works, with original Form Content.
3. We know, the only place it does not work is when your current database is governing the site. It is maybe an option saved, some ghost entry, a duplicate ID of some content that breaks the process.

It would be a possibility to just export all contents with WordPress and Toolset export mechanisms, set up a fresh install and re-import the contents and structures with Toolset.

But before we do this, I want to try another time with your duplicate, on the online sandbox, and try to spot what precise database value it is that causes this. After all, it must be in the database, and I eventually can catch the issue by digging into the duplicate once again (remember, we did never deploy your duplicate yet online).

Can you share access to the Duplicate folder again, as I seem to have no more access to it?
I can then cooperate with our system admins to upload the duplicate - we'd then need to make sure the Google API works, and if we can even replicate the issue on the new server.

I appreciate that you are willing to do this! I had deleted the old package from Google Drive which is why you can't get to it. I think it would make sense to create a new package, anyway, so I will spend some time today to run all of the updates on the production site and then create a new package. You should have it by the time you get in tomorrow.

I assume the link the email will still give me a private message screen when I am ready?

I've reactivated the private reply, as it needs to be set each time I respond to you

Thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.