Skip Navigation

[Closed] Excessive requests on admin-ajax

This support ticket is created 2 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I don't think this is a bug as much as it is an inquiry on a fairly major issue we are having with our web host WP Engine. They sent us the following message and have identified that toolset is affecting server resources because of the inordinate amount of request.

We have identified the following areas which should be addressed in order to reduce the amount of server resources being utilized:
126754 /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

Is there a way, method, configuration or information you might be able to provide that can assist us in reducing the number of requests to this particular file? TIA for your response.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Chris

On-page requests from the browser to the server go through that file, it is the standard WordPress route for performing ajax requests. Toolset certainly uses it, but any other plugin (or your theme) that makes server requests will do so through the same route.

(Maybe you already know something about this, as I see you have the WP Rocket Heartbeat Control plugin installed, which explains the same.)

Without more information from the host about the originator of the requests it is hard to know what is the culprit.

I can say that with the advent of the block editor we do have something of an issue with the number of times the server is pinged when editing a View in the back end with the block editor (there is a lot of dynamic content that can trigger requests) and we do have a project to work on that.

But you are using the Classic Editor plugin and Views, so I doubt this is the case with you.

In which case I don't know what the cause might be without more details from the host.

If it is a high-traffic site (in which case it seems reasonable that there might be a lot of server hits) and you have a popular page with a search View with several custom field or taxonomy filters, if you have the option to only show filter options that produce results then that triggers ajax requests every time someone modifies a filter. Or if you have sliders that auto-paginate, that again triggers ajax requests.

There are a handful of scenarios also including forms that trigger ajax requests, but the only case where I would say they may be excessive is when editing a complex View with the block editor.

More info from your host would help determine whether the requests originate from Toolset or not.

Thanks for your quick reply. I am still awaiting a reply from their support.

In the meantime, I am curios - is there anyway that I can monitor what views are making requests to the wp-ajax.php from within toolset? Or can you recommend a tool that can help us figure out what views with filters are making these requests? If we were able to isolate these views (particularly on the sites that are high traffic) we might be able to create an alternate solution that would reduce these requests.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for writing back and we'll wait for any further details that you'll receive from your host.

I found this very useful guide on the topic of diagnosing high Admin-AJAX usage, which includes the information that you're looking for:
hidden link

Tip: I would start the investigation from the pages on the website, which have the most visits. The most frequently visited pages are naturally more likely to contribute noticeably to the high number of Admin-AJAX requests.

The topic ‘[Closed] Excessive requests on admin-ajax’ is closed to new replies.