Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Error in admin Post Fields page – TypeError: jQuery(…).live is not a function

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am seeing JavaScript errors in the console like "TypeError: jQuery(...).live is not a function" and "TypeError: e is undefined."

Solution: Make sure parent theme, as well as all plugins, are up-to-date. Resolve any custom JavaScript code errors in custom theme.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by rachelW 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: edit post fields

My client is having problems inputting a date in the custom post field I have created, so I have gone to the post fields editing page and I get a jquery error "TypeError: jQuery(...).live is not a function". I cannot expand the post fields to edit any settings - javascript seems to have broken completely on this page! On the edit post page I get the same error plus "TypeError: e is undefined" - the date field is greyed out and cannot be typed in either.

I am running a child theme of twentyfourteen. This has only happened recently - it used to work. Could it be something to do with the updates not working with the older theme? If so how do I resolve this? I can't mess about too much with the site as it is a live site!

Thanks

Hi, this is unusual. Let's try the following steps:
- Make sure your parent Twenty Fourteen theme is up-to-date. Version 2.0 is the latest, I believe.
- Make sure your Toolset plugins are all up-to-date.
- Temporarily disable all non-Toolset plugins and switch to the parent Twenty Fourteen theme. Retest. If the problem is resolved, enable your theme and plugins one at a time until the conflict is revealed.
- Clear your browser cache, log out, and log back in to the wp-admin area. Retest.
- Try a different browser. For example, Chrome or Firefox.

Let me know the results of these tests and we'll go from there.

Thank you - it is resolved! I needed to update the theme's functions file.

Thanks again

Rachel

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.