Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying dynamic content on author archive using Elementor's template builder.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by geophray 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I'm trying to display custom image and text fields in an elementor author archive template.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I've read through this: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-toolset-with-elementor-page-builder/ and hidden link
They don't really answer my question as they talk more about custom post types, and not about users/user fields. Hoping the same functionality can be achieved with user fields, but if not I will create it using views directly.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Yes... see the link below. I can accomplish most of what I'm wanting to do with views, but I'd love to be able to do it all within the native blocks of the elementor front end builder.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link
The site is currently in private mode and you will need the login credentials. Please enable my next reply as private and I will include that information for you.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Elementor offers the author box widget using which you can display the author-related information and customize it as per your need:
=> hidden link

Yes... see the link below. I can accomplish most of what I'm wanting to do with views, but I'd love to be able to do it all within the native blocks of the elementor front end builder.
==>
If you already accomplished the author list using Toolset, I do not know why you want to create archive using Elementor.

Hi Minesh.

Sorry for my delay in getting back on this. Been away from the office for the holidays.

I appreciate your reply, but I'm afraid maybe I didn't communicate clearly enough what I was trying to achieve. I'm aware of the ability to add an author box to an individual post. I am working on creating a custom author ARCHIVE template, and I was hoping to be able to insert values from some custom USER fields (values from the profile of the author of the current author archive) into various elementor blocks. I would love to be able to use their blocks in order to get the benefits of easily being able to manipulate the styling/function without having to edit any code. As mentioned, I'm personally capable of creating everything I need using views, but would love for it to be in the elementor editor for consistency and simplicity as most of the rest of the post templates and archives are being created that way.

I have run into another snag, which I think may make this question irrelevant though. I need to be able to relate reviews to the authors, so I think I will need to create the author profiles as a CPT and only allow one post to be created per author, and then relate the reviews to the author posts. Unless there is a way to relate posts to users other than as the post author. As far as I can tell that is not possible.

Thanks again for your response... please let me know if creating the CPT for authors is the best recommended way for achieving what I am working to achieve.

As I've researched more about how relationship forms work, I'm starting to think that I will need to do some custom coding/use the rest API to create the associations I need to create when a new review is created. I'd like to be able to relate a review to multple different posts of differing types. (For example, rate both a service, and a staff member both in the same review and have it associated with both a post of type "service", and another of type "staff".) Is that something that is possible using toolset out of the box, or will that require custom coding?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Geophray

Minesh had assigned this ticket to me. I will try to respond as best as possible.

"I am working on creating a custom author ARCHIVE template, and I was hoping to be able to insert values from some custom USER fields (values from the profile of the author of the current author archive) into various elementor blocks."

For this query I would recommend checking with the Elementor team for clarity on the User custom fields. I know that for Post custom fields it works fine.

" I need to be able to relate reviews to the authors, so I think I will need to create the author profiles as a CPT and only allow one post to be created per author, and then relate the reviews to the author posts."

In this case yes you will need to create your authors as a custom post type, this will essentially allow them to have their own profile. Doing this should allow you to create the custom archive for the CPT as well as to pull the dynamic content from the custom fields of the Author CPT.

You will also be able to relate the reviews to the Author CPT as well.

" I'd like to be able to relate a review to multple different posts of differing types."

This is possible to do given that you've set the review to have multiple parents. This way you can set the parent of that review to separate posts in the parent CPT. So both your CPT can have the same review associated with it.

It can be done out of the box looking at it with just the features of our Toolset plugins.

Thanks,
Shane

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the reply.

This is possible to do given that you've set the review to have multiple parents. This way you can set the parent of that review to separate posts in the parent CPT. So both your CPT can have the same review associated with it.

It can be done out of the box looking at it with just the features of our Toolset plugins.

So are you saying that I can relate more than two post types with a single relationship form? I didn't see a way to do that...

I'd like for users to be able to select a post of type A and a post of type B right from the form where the review is created—essentially selecting a provider and a service (or multiple services) that the review is in regard to.

Does that make sense?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.