Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Display Toolset Type post and child records in read-only view

This support ticket is created 6 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I just renewed my subscription yesterday and would like to get my clients site live. All I want to do is display a link in each search result to navigate to a page that will display all of the details of a toolset type post (Order) and its child records. It seems to be hideously hard and the documentation does not even cover how to do this. I have spent 3hrs trying to do something that should be simple...<rant over>

So, I have the following hierarchy:
- Order (15fields)
- Clothing details (15 fields)
- List<People> (crated an order-person type to link Order and Person)

Firstly, how do you simply create a view post page that will generate all of the html in the same way that CRED generates a form for all the fields? This functionality does not seem to exist.
Assuming the above can be done I want to be able to display the details of the order, then the clothing and then iterate over the people. I have achieved something similar but only using a Layout for the Order that is linked to the post. When I try to do something similar it trashes the previous usage and goes to my new template that doesn't work. I have to manually go back and update every page to use the original template.

I tried the Content, Layout and View docs but no help.

Please email me directly and I will give you all details and credentials for my site.

Firstly, how do you simply create a view post page that will generate all of the html in the same way that CRED generates a form for all the fields? This functionality does not seem to exist....lIt seems to be hideously hard
You are correct in that this functionality is not built into Views. Views is designed to give you the flexibility to create your own designs that show custom field information as you'd like, but it lacks the ability to generate a default design for you. If you want to include a field in a View, you must insert it using the GUI or by typing the shortcode manually. Typing the shortcode manually may be difficult when you have lots of fields, I agree, but inserting the fields into a template using the Fields and Views GUI should only take a few seconds. There is a text input field in the popup that can help you filter and find those fields quickly.

I was thinking maybe you could show an Edit CRED form instead of a View, apply the "readonly" attribute to each form field, and remove the submit button. But the readonly attribute only applies to text inputs and not other elements, like checkboxes or buttons, so I think it's likely this won't be a complete solution for you. Furthermore, an Edit CRED form's fields only apply to one post, so this won't help you show fields from child or parent posts. You'll still most likely need another View or Views to show that information. So I don't think the Edit CRED form is a viable option.

I will be glad to help you set up something like this using nested Views, but I'm not quite clear I understand how Order and Clothing are related. Is Clothing a post type? Is there a parent / child relationship or a many-to-many relationship between these post types, or something else I'm missing?

Hi Christian, thanks for replying. The best way to explain would be to show you round the set up in WP Admin and the discuss next steps. With your expertise and my understanding of what I need (plus I have a good grasp of Toolset & Dev) I'm sure we can work it out.
Is it possible to arrange a webex or join.me or something for tomorrow please? Can you email me directly and we can work something out with you or your team. I feel it is not easy enough to solve through this support mechanism albeit it is a great resource and facility.
Cheers,
Simon

Okay written communication is restricted to the forum, as per our Support Policy (https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy), so I am not able to communicate effectively through email. I have activated private reply fields for your next reply so you may share login criteria or other confidential information. To request a video conference, please read this post and follow the link to our request form:
https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/ask-support-video-call/
It's not always possible to arrange next day video support but our managers will do their best to accommodate you. Feel free to schedule a video support call and we can pick up there. In my experience, it's faster to provide login credentials here and a brief written overview of things. I can take a look and get back to you as soon as possible.

Here's how I would approach this.
- Use the Template for Orders Layout to display information about the current Wedding Order, not an Edit CRED form. Delete the CRED form cell from the Layout here: hidden link
- Insert a Visual Editor cell instead, and use the Fields and Views button in this cell to insert all the post information about the current Order. Use the formatting options in the Visual Editor cell to add headers and extra text information if needed.
- Create a new View of Clothing Order posts, filtered by post relationship, where the parent Wedding Order is the current page.
- In the Loop Output of this new View, insert the fields you want to display from each Clothing Order. Use the formatting options above the Loop Output editor to insert headers and extra text as needed.
- Insert this View in the Template for Orders Layout using a View cell or by inserting a shortcode in a Visual Editor cell using the Fields and Views button.
- Create a new View of Order Persons posts, filtered by post relationship, where the parent Wedding Order is the current page.
- In the Loop Output of this new View, insert the fields you want to display from the related Person post. Add the id="$person" attribute to each field to indicate you want to grab information from the parent Person. More information about that technique here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-fields-of-parent-pages/
- Insert this View in the Template for orders Layout by using a View cell or by inserting a shortcode in a Visual Editor cell using the Fields and Views button.
- Create a new Layout specifically for the Edit CRED form. Add the CRED form cell to this Layout.
- Edit the Search Orders View. Use the Fields and Views button to add an Edit Post link to the Search Orders table, and select the new Layout to be used to display this form.
- Insert edit post links in other locations as needed, for instance on the Template for Orders Layout.

Thanks for all of this Christian. I'll try it out later this week and let you know if I am still struggling or I succeded.
Cheers,
Si

Sure, I will mark this ticket as pending an update from you. No need to reply right now. The ticket will remain open for 30 days.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.