Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Display parent taxonomy title with link on custom wordpress child archive page

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

I have a child archive page which I want to display the parent term's title with link.

Solution:

There isn't such kind of built-in feature within Toolset plugins, in my opinion, you can use the custom shortcode, see solution in below similar thread:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/display-parent-taxonomy-title-on-custom-wordpress-archive-page/#post-1844157

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 2 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by graemeH-3 2 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I have a child archive page which I want to display the parent term's title with link.

For example, the set up is states with their cities as sub terms.

On the city page, I want to display a link to its parent archive page,

so like, on my city page, /florida/miami, I want to display the link to the /florida archive page with the text "Florida" .

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/display-parent-taxonomy-title-on-custom-wordpress-archive-page/#post-1844157

The post is a year or two out of date, and I know Toolset has been making so many new changes and improvements.

I just wanted to check that this is the best way to accomplish this currently?

Seems kind of extra to do all this coding just for a link to a taxonomy's parent term page, like it seems like maybe I'm just missing the shortcode? But I cant seem to find any shortcodes for it.

Please just let me know if there is a better way I should be doing this, even for example, how I would fetch the URL of the parent term, instead I'm fetching the slug, and adding the shortcode to the end of my URL to make it work lol.

Here's the second php code I used in Toolset custom codes I made to fetch the slug, which seems to work, copied from Jamal's work in the other post,

// Determine the top-most parent of a term
function jts_get_term_slug_top_most_parent( $atts ) {
// get the term and taxonomy
$termslug = get_queried_object ();
$taxonomy = $termslug->taxonomy;

// Climb up the hierarchy until we reach a term with parent = '0'
while ( isset($termslug->parent) && $termslug->parent != '0' ) {
$termslug_id = $termslug->parent;
$termslug = get_term( $termslug_id, $taxonomy);
}

return $termslug->slug;
}

Then to get the link I'm using, ".com/laundromats-near-me/[top-most-parent-slug]" using that as the ahref, and then as the text, "[top-most-parent]" , like from Jamal's original code. (ex. /laundromats-near-me/florida, and "Florida")

Seems a little clunky but it does appear to be working.

Thanks for any thoughts and insights, your help has been invaluable 🙂

G

Hello,

You are right, there isn't such kind of built-in feature within Toolset plugins, in my opinion, you can use the custom shortcode you mentioned above. It should work in future version of Toolset plugins too.

Ok great thank you 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.