Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Database Upgrade – Renaming db table error

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author
Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 8.37.41 AM.png

I migrated to a new server and updated the PHP version, WordPress, and the installed plugins. After migrating, I encountered a database upgrade issue with Toolset, as shown in the attached screenshot. I have already disabled all the plugins except the three Toolset plugins, but the error persists. I already tried to remove the existing 'wp_toolset_associations_old' table as well.

Here are the previous and new versions:

OLD

PHP: 7.4
WordPress: 5.7.10
Toolset Forms: 2.6.6
Toolset Types: 3.4.7
Toolset Views: 3.4.1

NEW

PHP: 8.1
WordPress: 6.4.1
Toolset Forms: 2.6.19
Toolset Types: 3.5.1
Toolset Views: 3.6.10

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

An error like this can be faced if the database user assigned to WordPress, doesn't have permission to make changes to the website's tables.

You can consult your hosting support team to make sure that this user has permission to 'alter' the database tables. If the server/hosting doesn't allow this, you can clone your website and temporarily transfer it to a different server.
( it can be any server including a localhost )

On that clone website, you can complete the relationship migration process and once completed, transfer it back to the original server.

Officially we use and recommend the following two plugins to migrate/clone websites safely:

1. Duplicator – WordPress Migration Plugin
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

2. All-in-One WP Migration
https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need further assistance.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,

I reached out to our server/hosting provider, and they mentioned that the database user has full access, granting permission to 'alter' tables.

However, they pointed out that the database host is not localhost. Is this the problem? If so, is there a way to change it? Transferring the site is a pain due to its size, and it takes time to migrate back and migrate again.

Thanks

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for writing back.

An external/non-localhost database shouldn't be a problem as long as the proper privileges/permissions are granted. It is possible that the new server's database provider restricts/limits certain operations, as a whole.

Do you still have access to your old server and the back up there? If yes, you can try completing the relationship migration process there and then transfer the website back again.

If that is not an option, you'll have to go with my earlier recommendation, I'm afraid.

Note: If the size of the website is huge because of the media (uploads) folder, both the migration plugins support migrating without the media folder, to keep the size of the package small.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.