Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom user role: Posts not showing up in Dashboard

This support ticket is created 3 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Author
2020-09-23-10-19-www.autismedigitaal.nl.png
2020-09-23-10-16-www.autismedigitaal.nl.png
2020-09-23-10-13-www.autismedigitaal.nl.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?

For one of the sites on a multisite, I used Toolset Access to create a custum user role called 'Redactielid'. I assigned it persmissions to publish, edit, preview and read posts but not to delete them. It worked just fine until a while ago, but then the 'posts' item in the Dashboard menu dissappeared for users with this role. I am not aware of making any changes to the role's permissions.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

I have attached a screen dump of the problem and the assigned persmissions.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I would like to know here that how you created a new role.

When you created the new role "Redactielid" did you used the "Copy From" option that allows you to copy the permissions? if yes:
- What role option you used from "Copy From" select box?

To be honest, I don't remember. I created this role a year ago and it worked fine untill recently.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please share access details so I should look at it.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

When I try to access the wp-admin: hidden link

It shows the following messae: Dit is uitgeschakeld.

Can you please make sure that I should be able to access the admin and login to admin.

My mistake, I changed the url to: hidden link

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for access details.

First of all - After login to the site, I found that you are using outdated Toolset plugins. We always recommend running your site with the latest stable release plugin version.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
Could you please update ALL Toolset plugins to it's latest officially released version. You can download the latest plugin release from your accounts page:
=> https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

Can you please update ALL Toolset plugins first.

2020-09-24-15-58-www.autismedigitaal.nl.png

Apparently, WordPress is no longer automatically seeing the Toolset updates (see screen dump). They did show up when I clicked 'check for updates' however.

I have updated all Toolset plugins. I checked, but the problem still occurs.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please share user access details to which you have assigned the role: Redactielid

So that I can login using that role and check further.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

It looks like there is a conflict between the plugin you are using "Remove Dashboard Access" and "Toolset Access".

As I've created a new role "toolset-test-role" copy from "Subscriber" and then I've set the permissions to post type "post" (Berichten).

Then I assigned the role "toolset-test-role" to the user "natascha" and when I try to access the admin section it redirect me to frontend. So, I've just deactivated the plugin "Remove Dashboard Access" and then run a test again and it was working as expected.

So, what I suggest, what if you try to create a new role (copy from "Subscriber") then assign the permission to that role to your post type and create a new user or assign this new role to existing user - Do you see it working?

If there was a conflic with the "Remove Dashboard Access" plugin it is not the cause of the problem. For I have deleted this plugin and the problem still occurs.

I have create a new role (copied from "Subscriber") as you suggested but the problem just reappears. I did some additional testing annd discovered that the problem occurs when, and only when, I disallow the user to delete any post. Apparently, when a user's role does not allow deleting any post, the 'posts' (berichten) item completely dissappears from the admin menu. I do not see the logic of this. I would like to have a user role without the capability of deleting posts but with all other capabilities related to posts. Is that possible?

The new role I created is called 'Redactie'. For the time being I have allowed users with that role to delete all posts, but that is not my preferred setting.

Minesh
Supporter

I checked by revoking the "Delete Any" capability for the post type "Post" and I can see its working as expected with my test site where only Toolset Types and Access plugins are installed hence I do not able to reproduce the issue as per your previous reply.

You can access my test site at:
=> hidden link
User: demo
pwd: Admin@999

Where if you visit the Access Control page:
=> hidden link
- You will notice that "Delete Any" capability is not assigned to role "Subscriber" as well as "Copy of Subscriber Role".

When I loggedin as user to which "Subscriber" or "Copy of Subscriber Role" is assigned. I can access the post type "post".
=> hidden link
User: user-subscriber
Pwd: admin

Can you confirm it works as expected with my test site.

Yes it does work as aspected with your test site. This suggests a plugin conflict. I deactivated all plugins and found a conflict with the plugin 'WP user avatar'. Please advise.

I have replaced the 'WP user avatar' plugin with a similar plugin that does not create a conflict.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.