Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom taxonomy : display terms in specific order

This support ticket is created 7 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by volodiaB 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi,

I have a custom post type and a custom taxonomy associated to it.

Is it possible to :
1- define an order for each term so they display in a specific order when we list the terms ?
2- limit the use of one term for the custom taxonomy ?

Regards,
Volodia

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Volodia,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Let me see how best I can response to you question 🙂

1- define an order for each term so they display in a specific order when we list the terms ?

A. Actually you can define an ordering for how terms a listed with views but this will be general. Meaning any taxonomy that this view lists it will list in a predefined order. You wont be able to specify an order per term.

2- limit the use of one term for the custom taxonomy ?

Could you clarify this for me ? Is it that you want the user to only be able to select 1 term from a taxonomy to attach to the post ?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

1- Yes, I am using the Views plugin. So it is not possible to set the order of the terms manually?

2- Yes, one post can only belong to one category. Is it possible to configure it that way?

Regards, Volodia

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 9.21.40 AM.png

Hi Volodia,

You have an ordering options within a view that you can use. See Screenshot

Regarding one taxonomy per post you can try using this plugin below.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/radio-buttons-for-taxonomies/

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

1- I chose to order the terms by taxonomy post count (DESC).

2- Thanks for the plugin proposal. I'll try it and if not convenient enough we'll tackle this issue process wise.

Regards, Volodia

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.