Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom taxonomies not allowing the assignment of a post type

This support ticket is created 6 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author
TaxonomyScreen.jpg

I am trying to: Create and assign custom taxonomies to custom post types

I visited this URL: Edit Taxonomy window

I expected to see: "Post types to be used with this Taxonomy" should list all post types, custom and WordPress standard ones.

Instead, I got: "Post types to be used with this Taxonomy" box is empty and shows no post types.

I have been having this problem for a month or more. I have tried to create new custom taxonomies but the system has seemed to have lost the ability to assign the new taxonomy to any Post Types.

Also, for custom taxonomies created earlier which were assigned a custom post type, the taxonomy is missing from the custom post type menu so I am not allowed to edit the taxonomies I have previously created.

Only standard WordPress taxonomies are working correctly.

All custom taxonomy assignments are still working for filters and views however there is no way to edit them or add new ones.

Thanks for your help,
Suzanne

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you for contacting Toolset Support.

1. Please make sure all Toolset plugins are updated to latest versions as a primary check:
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

2. Also can you please share your Debug Information with us so we can see it? I have enabled debug info box for your next reply:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

3. Can you please also try to check it by deactivating all third-party plugins and switching back to the Default Theme (e.g. Twenty Sixteen theme) to see for any possible conflicts with any of the plugins or themes?

Looking forward to help you, Thank you

Hi Noman,
I do have the latest WP-Toolset plugins installed. I cannot switch to the default theme because the site is active. I can deactivate some of the plugins but not all of them as some are crucial to the site.

Thanks for your help,
Suzanne

As far as plugins, I have actually reduced the amount of them and not increased the amount, so I don't think it is a plugin compatibility issue. I now have the same plugins activated that were originally activated back when it was working correctly. Unless the compatibility issue started with your latest two updates or another plugins latest updates.

Also as far as the theme is concerned. I have never switched the theme, or updated it, and it was working fine with the theme in the beginning. So the theme should also not be the issue.

Noman
Supporter

Hello Suzanne,

Thank you for your prompt reply and sharing debug info. I totally agree with you and understand that this issue was not occurring before and it is possible that it may have appeared with latest Toolset updates, but it could also be a conflict between toolset and 3rd party plugins which may starting to just arise.

So we are first trying to identify the cause of the issue and then we will move on to solve it. In most cases post type and taxonomies assignment is also broken if there is some database corruption occurs (for example due to manually modifying database tables, migrating sites from server to server, etc…)

1. To debug this issue further, I will need to take a look at your setup. Would you be able to provide temporary WP-admin & FTP login info, and we can temporarily enable maintenance mode if possible?

2. Alternatively, you can send us Duplicator package files of your site using the Duplicator plugin so that I will install it at my end and debug it: https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Thank you for your cooperation

Hi Noman,
I cannot give you access as the site is on a University enterprise system, no outside entities are allowed to login to the site, I also do not have FTP login myself for the site as this is restricted. I am not sure a copy of my site is going to work for you either since I am part of a multi-site setup, and you have to have an official syr.edu email to gain access. I cannot provide this for you, nor can I set up an account for you to gain access before duplicating it.

Your suggestion of the problem occurring due to database corruption after site migration is probable. Do you have a tool for database cleaning/fixing?

Noman
Supporter

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry we ran into the weekend, without login or any access to code and database it's quite difficult for us to detect and sort this problem. You or your developer can follow the steps that I mentioned above that process is usually effective. Removing and re-installing Toolset plugins can also help.

Do you have a tool for database cleaning/fixing?
==> You may try these plugins, however we cannot guarantee if this would solve:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-optimize/
https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-database-cleaner/

Thank you

The solutions provided to me really aren't solutions in the end. I have a working site so uninstalling the plugin to reinstall it would take down many working portions of the site, I would then have a lot of work to do to put everything back up again. At this point that is not possible. I would be happy to send you database data, as I can extract this for you, but I can also not give you complete access to the backend of the site as this is also just not possible. If you want to tell me what portions of the database you would need to look at I can send you database tables etc...

Noman
Supporter

I am not sure if only looking into database tables I can find out the cause. If you can copy site to a staging site or folder >> remove all confidential data >> and just leave few plugins without any pages / posts >> and with custom taxonomies and CPT. I can go in and try to debug it there and help you to resolve it.

Or you can also make a copy of site, do samething as above and send me limited dummy version of the site using Duplicator plugin so that I can install at my end and debug it:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

OR if you want to work with some dedicate person in a private approach, we have some recommended list of service providers here who can help in such cases for you:
https://toolset.com/consultant/

Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.