Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom taxonomies listing/archives not working

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by miroslavV 7 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

When I create a custom taxonomy, add a term, assign the term to a post/page and then click on the term link (to display all posts/pages with the assigned term, i.e. taxonomy archive), only the landing page is displayed (though the URL is formed correctly for that term). Creating a custom archive for that taxonomy does not help. Rewrite permalinks settings makes no difference (i.e. the links are changed, but again only the landing page is displayed).
See hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 09.24.25.png

Hi Miroslav

I tried to replicate this problem locally but was unable to.

I visited your site link, it wasn't clear what I was looking at but it appeared to me as if it may be the taxonomy archive with just a single matching post (see attachment).

I couldn't tell from looking at the source code, normally you can see what page is being shown from the body classes but it seems you have stripped those amongst other customisations such as page redirects to the contact page etc.

I suggest you switch to the twentysixteen theme and test again to see if the problem lies with your theme.

If not then please disable all non-Toolset plugins to see if any of those are causing a conflict.

Let me know how you get on with the testing.

Hi Nigel

Thanks for your reply.

What you see on the site is a listing (of a single post) that is quite unconnected to this taxonomy and is just displayed via a widget on the landing page.

Anyway, using the TwentyFifteen template helps. Would you suggest (in general), what we should check in our template to make it compatible? It seems something is missing that should output the toolset taxonomy. However, other taxonomies' output is fine (hidden link).

Sorry for the complication of the site being in Czech.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

If you don't create a custom WordPress archive for your custom taxonomy using Views then the taxonomy archive for your custom taxonomy should be displayed exactly the same way as the native taxonomy archives (e.g. those for built-in categories).

There would only be a difference if you create specific PHP template files for your custom taxonomy (refer to the naming conventions in the WordPress Template Hierarchy: https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/).

If you do make a custom WordPress archive for your custom taxonomy the there would be no difference in the url structure, the only difference is that Views will intercept and override the the_content() section of the page and replace the output with your custom design.

If you follow the Template Hierarchy naming conventions for your theme files as adopted by the default themes such as twentyfifteen then you shouldn't have any problems.

Nigel,
Thanks for pointing me in the right directions, we were able to resolve the issue - the php template for archive was missing.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.