Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Search is not showing the option to add Custom Field

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Author
Screenshot-1.JPG

I want to add custom fields in a custom search on this page: hidden link
I'm doing this with the help of blocks. But the dropdown menu doesn't show the option to add custom fields!! (see attached image)

I don't know what's wrong. I have inserted custom search fields in the past using blocks but don't know what's wrong here.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong or if we can figure out a solution for it.

Hi, I wasn't able to find any custom fields available for custom search in the Block Editor so I switched over to the classic Views editor thinking it was a Block Editor issue...but I wasn't able to add a custom field filter in the Views editor either. I could see the All-in-One WP Migration tool was active, so I had a hunch it may be related to content being imported. I went to Toolset > Post Fields and edited the Property Details and Specifications field group. I just clicked Save to update the fields without making changes, and that seems to have triggered the system to regenerate that list of fields. Now I'm able to see custom fields in the custom search filter options in the Views editor and also in the blocks editor. I see not only the Property Details and Specifications fields, but fields from other field groups as well. Can you check and see if things are working more like you'd expect now?

Oh also I noticed that in Settings > General your site URLs were still http but should be https, so I changed those. If you had a specific reason for that settings feel free to change them back, but usually it's best to use https to match your site.

Screenshot-1.JPG

Hello Christian,

Thanks for the assistance.

I've imported the website and that was the reason the search field was not able to get those custom fields. The issue is solved now. But, custom post types which are in a relationship with other post types are not viewable in the search field (see attached image). The custom post types are also imported and I saved them without making any changes to trigger the system but nothing seems to work.

Can we solve this issue now?

Okay unfortunately the Block editor interface does not support the post relationship front-end custom search filter...not yet. If you want to add a front-end filter for selecting a related parent post, you'll need to use the classic Views editor experience to create the View in Toolset > Views, in advance. Then use a View block in the Block Editor, or a regular shortcode, to insert the full View in your design.

Really!! But I think I have included a city-state relationship search filter on my previous website. Can you again confirm this info?

Of course, I will ask my 2nd tier support team to confirm this. Please stand by and I will give you an update.

Okay, thanks, Christian!!

It turns out you are correct, and there is a problem in Blocks post relationship filters. This type of filter should be supported on the front-end, but it seems a problem was introduced in version 3.1.0. Sorry for the confusion here. I have split the post relationship filter issue into a separate ticket so we can track the problem independently. I'll follow up with you in the other ticket shortly.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.