Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Post Type's Taxonomy meta boxes don't appear on single post edit screen

This support ticket is created 4 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Clifford 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to: add Taxonomies to Custom Posts

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see:
1) the assigned taxonomy meta boxes
2) I also noticed this Post Type is set to Block Editor but all posts (this custom type and regular Posts and Pages) are using Classic Editor even though the Classic Editor plugin isn't even installed.
- Ah, found this setting: hidden link -- why also have it in the single post type setup then? It should say "not controlled here" or something
- Even changing that to Block Editor, everything still loads as Classic Editor

1min video demo: hidden link

I think it's related to both the Plugin you use and the setting just previous to the one you show in the screenshot

Given you use Views (not Blocks) can you try to set there "Show both the legacy and Blocks interface and let me choose which to use for each item I build", and then select Block Editor as Editor to use for Content Templates and Editor to use for WordPress Archives

This will not yet control the post edit screen, that instead is controlled in Toolset > Post Types > Your Post Type > Edit > Editor (required)

If this does not help, could you add login data and an example link to where I can see the issue?
I can then quickly check if all settings are correct and if maybe I can spot any issue on the site.

There is custom code or a plugin or a theme disabling the blocks editor, I am sure about this because the settings are correct, and it works nowhere on the site (blocks)

You can see that when you create a simple new post and I am quite sure it'll persist like that even if you disable Toolset.

Hence I can only recommend basic steps, for now, such as disabling other software to see if those cause the issue

I recommend doing this on a staging site.
It will then show which plugin or theme disables the blocks editor. Then we can check if any other issue persists, and/or if Toolset has any interference.

Turns out Divi has a Classic Editor setting. I didn't know about it or remember checking it but maybe I did: hidden link

So, when using Block Editor (when that Divi setting is unchecked), the taxonomies appear. However, when using Classic Editor, the taxonomies meta boxes do not appear, which I'd still consider a bug.

You can mess around with things at this staging site: hidden link

There where particular rules to follow in Divi 3.+ (such as to not use the new Divi Builder Experience).
However, it seems this changed, please refer to https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/#legacy-integration-with-divi-3

Since you use Divi 4.+, you'd have to follow that new workflow.
Is this the workflow you use?

I can in any case not replicate the issue, locally, in either workflow with or without classic editor enabled.

It would be interesting to know if the issue persists with just Divi and a native WordPress taxonomy/Post (having Toolset disabled)
If the issue persists, it'd be a problem in the Theme or outside Toolset.

If not, I'd probably need a copy of your site to analyse this locally.
See here how you can create a copy https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

I've enabled a private reply to submit the data safely.

I don't use Divi Builder for this non-public post type.

I enabled Classic Editor via Divi, then disabled, then installed and activated Classic Editor plugin, and the result was the same -- no meta boxes when using Classic Editor, regardless of the custom post type's setting for block or classic or per-post.

Here's a 7min testing video when Twenty Twenty is the active theme and all other plugins are deactivated: hidden link

By the way: does Toolset have an "export this post type (or taxonomy)" to export it to custom/raw PHP code? I always thought that would be a sweet feature!

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Sorry for the delay, Beda is not available, let me step in here.

I visited your staging site.

I can see that the testimonials posts when using the block editor display the taxonomy meta boxes correctly.

If I edit the post type and change it to use the classic editor, then the taxonomy metaboxes don't display at all.

I'm taking a copy of the site so that I can debug it locally.

I'll do that now and report back.

Thanks for checking in. No rush, just want the issue fixed overall if it's not specific to this site somehow.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 15.45.58.png

I don't recall seeing it before but the taxonomies have an option to hide the metabox on post edit screens, and you have that option checked (see screenshot).

Uncheck that and your metaboxes re-appear with the classic editor.

Weird! It works now 🙂

I promise I never checked that - and why would I have on all of them? Maybe some upgrade routine got in the way on this, although odd. And if this only affects Classic Editor, it should say so -- and I guess a separate box to control whether it appears in Block Editor.

tyvm for helping get this sorted out.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.