Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Fields … just stops accepting additional fields

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The user was not able to add any more fields to a Fields Group.

Solution:
The user was having too many fields that the PHP engine could handle based on the max_input_vars settings.

After increasing the setting, he was able to add more fields.

Check these articles:

This support ticket is created 2 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by gordonW-2 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

I am trying to:
Add additional custom fields to custom field group

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
New Fields added to bottom of existing custom fields

Instead, I got:
The fields simply disappear when you chose a field type or when saving

Repro Case 1:
1. Edit the custom fields
2. add a new field (any type)
3. Save custom fields
4. Scroll to bottom of the fields ... You will see the new field is no longer shown.
5. Try re-adding the same field with the same name and slug. It will then give you an error that the slug already exists.
6. Export the Types files and look at the XML file inside the zip archive ... you can see the field listed there (usually)

Repro Case 2:
1. Create a new field (any type)
2. save the new field above the last repeatable Group (Performance Tests)
3. Before saving, move the field above the last Repeatable Group
4. Save the custom fields
5. Is the new Field shown? if so, move it below the last Repeatable Group (Performance Tests)
6. Save the custom fields.
7. go to the bottom of the page ... the new field i now missing
8. Export the Types files and look at the XML file inside the zip archive ... you can see the field listed there (usually)

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting Toolset support.

I am sure this happens because of the low value of the PHP setting max_input_vars. Currently, it is 1000 while the number of fields in the Fields Group exceeds that. Check this screenshot for the actual value hidden link
Check this screenshot for the number of current inputs in the fields group hidden link

hidden link

Increase the value of max_input_vars in your server and it should fix the issue. Follow this article, and if you are not sure how to do it, reach to your hosting provider for assistance. A value of 3000 should be high enough to let you add more fields.
hidden link

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi there ... ok. I have updated the php.ini file to use 3000 for max_input_vars .... if this works, you will have saved me a lot of trouble.

The only remaining question that I have, is how do I get the missing fields back into the custom fields group? I still see them in the xml file but toolset won't show them.

Is this information irretrievable?

thx!

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Well, I don't think you can retrieve them. Because, most probably, they were not saved correctly, and now Toolset is unable to parse their settings and recover them. You will have to recreate them.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.