Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom fields are missing in English version

This support ticket is created 4 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by rebecaE 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I added custom fields in the Spanish version and i used to seeing them in English version. But I realised today I can't see them any more.

Hello, are you talking about seeing the field inputs in wp-admin, or seeing the field displayed on the front-end of the site? Can you show me some screenshots of the problem? If you are using shortcodes to display the data on the front-end of the site, please provide those shortcodes here for me to review.

Captura2.PNG
Captura1.PNG

I happens in the wp-admin. Have a look at the 2 pictures. 1 is in the Spanish version in which you can see the custom fields and in the 2 pic you see it without. The "funny" thing is that some weeks ago it used to work properly.

Okay thank you. Can you tell me a bit more information?
- What are the translation settings for the field "Empresa del ponente"? You can find these in WPML > Settings > Multilingual Content Setup, in the Custom Fields Translation section.
- If you use the Translation Editor to edit the English version, are the fields displayed in the editor screen?
- Is the problem only occurring for a specific User role, or for all Users?
- Are you using Toolset Access? If so, can you temporarily disable Access and test again? Let me know the results.

Captura333.jpg
Captura33.PNG
Captura3.PNG

Hello:

Okay thank you. Can you tell me a bit more information?

- What are the translation settings for the field "Empresa del ponente"? You can find these in WPML > Settings > Multilingual Content Setup, in the Custom Fields Translation section.

"Translate" (see pic "Captura 3" attached)

- If you use the Translation Editor to edit the English version, are the fields displayed in the editor screen?

There are only two of all the custom fields created for this. (see pic "Captura 33" attached). Also, it is a bit weird the fact that there are some custom fields created (nombre, cargo, descripción, empresa, linkedin...) and at the bottom of the english version page, where you find all Custom Fields, there are only two shown) (see pic "Captura 333" attached)

- Is the problem only occurring for a specific User role, or for all Users?

All users

- Are you using Toolset Access? If so, can you temporarily disable Access and test again? Let me know the results.

I did it but still the same

Okay thanks, I don't see anything obvious that would be causing this problem. If it's okay with you, I would like to create a copy of this site to I can run some additional tests locally and see what is happening. I will use the Duplicator plugin to create that clone. If you approve, please provide admin login credentials in the private reply fields here.

Okay I see the problem. Please go to WPML > Configuración and scroll down to the section "Traducción de tipos de entrada". Set "Types Groups (wp-types-group)" to be "No traducible". That should cause the custom fields to appear in the English translation.

If you always want to use the wp editor, you could disable the WPML Translation Management plugin.

Let me know if you have questions about this.

Hello Christian. Sorry for my delayed response, yesterday was a off day in Málaga, my city. Doing what you said solved the issue. Some questions:

1. Should i set the other "tipos de entradas" like "Types User Groups (wp-types-user-group) " and "Types Term Groups (wp-types-term-group) " as "No traducible"?

2. I disabled WPML Translation Management. BUT: I need to translate the layouts for "Paneles", "Participantes" and "Ponentes". Can we do this without this plugin? I first duplicate the Spanish layout of "Plantilla para ponentes" and then i translate into English the info I wanted to appear in English. Then, i went into the English version of a Speaker, i turned on the layout and i worked, BUT the same layout appears now in the Spanish Version. I guess i have to set other options in "Tipos de entradas" but i get confused with the options given.... Could you please help me with this in order to do it in this layouts and generate properly the others??? THANKS!!!

Hello, are you there??

1. Should i set the other "tipos de entradas" like "Types User Groups (wp-types-user-group) " and "Types Term Groups (wp-types-term-group) " as "No traducible"?
It is not necessary to change the settings for User Groups and Term Groups to solve the problem you described. The only required change is the wp-types-group setting. If there is something specific you want to achieve by changing these settings, please let me know.

2. I disabled WPML Translation Management. BUT: I need to translate the layouts for "Paneles", "Participantes" and "Ponentes". Can we do this without this plugin?
Oh, I didn't realize you are using Layouts. In general we do not recommend disabling Translation Management when using Layouts because you have more robust translation options with Translation Management. However, I am doing some analysis to determine whether or not your site's Layouts could be translated effectively with only WPML String Translation and the wpml-string shortcode. Sorry for the delay, I will update you as soon as I can.

ok Christian, i'm looking forward to hearing from you, as im dealing now with this and need it solved, right now the English version of the site is showing the layout in Spanish.

Regards!

Okay I reactivated Translation Management for now. I can now see the custom fields available in both languages in this Ponente post editor:
hidden link
hidden link

It also looks like the Ponente posts are displayed mostly in the correct language on the front-end of the site with a few minor exceptions. Here are the links:
hidden link
hidden link

In order for the text like "Más información:", "Biografía", and "Participa en" to be shown in English, the translation manager is the easiest way to handle that translation. If you disable Translation Management, you must wrap the contents of each Visual Editor cell in a wpml-string shortcode. Then you can translate those contents with WPML String Translation. Here is some additional information about using the WPML-string shortcode: https://toolset.com/documentation/translating-sites-built-with-toolset/wpml-string-shortcode/

Ok i will have a look carefully to your message. But first, i think one of my question is not answer.

When im in the spanish version of the Ponente (Speaker), I use the layout "Plantilla para Ponente". Why if im in the English version and turn on the layout "Plantilla para Ponente English", the Spanish version also shows the layout "Plantilla para Ponente English"?? It seems as if I can only use the same layout for both languages.

If you deactivate WPML Translation Management, then you will only have one Layout for both languages. You can translate the text strings inside each Visual Editor cell using the wpml-string shortcode and WPML String Translation. So this approach works best if the posts are displayed with the same general page design in all languages. Only basic text changes from one language to the next, but the Layout design is identical.

Hello Christian.

1- You said: "If you deactivate WPML Translation Management, then you will only have one Layout for both languages."

In this case, you turned on the WPML Translation Management, so in this case, for what you say, i could be using 2 layouts. But it happens the same as previously, when changing layout in the English version, the layout also changes in the Spanish version.

2 - Having a look at the Translation strings, i followed the instructions shown in the link you added. But, i can not see the fields "Participa en", "Biografía", or "Más información". And now I now why. These fields are made with Fusion Builder as plain text, so i guess i can not translate them by using String. And if i can only use 1 layout for both languages, I do not know how I could have these fields in both languages..... I solved it by putting these fields in both languages, inside the layout. But this means i have to do so for all the other layouts, "Plantilla para Paneles" and "Plantilla para Participantes". Is this the only solution in case i use fusion builder inside a layout??? (anyway, i still do not know why i can only use 1 layout for both languages....)

Hope your answer. Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.