Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom fields are disappeared from a specific custom post type item

This support ticket is created 2 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kostasT 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
without_custom_fields.png
with_custom_fields.png

I have a custom post type named "Scientific Products" and a field group for them. We added many scientific products. Today, the field group is disappeared from the editor for one specific scientific product. It is displayed on the front end without problem but when try to edit the product, in the editor is displayed only the title and the typical description box. The problem started when someone tried to edit the product while another was editing it. I'm not sure if the user choose "take over" or cancel. All the other "Scientific Products" work fine in the editor. Please see the attached screenshots.
The post with the problem:
hidden link

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Kostas,

It would appear that this product itself may have become corrupted due which could be due to server timeout issues when editing. Given that all the other posts work then this is a good indication that the issue on on the post itself.

Also its should be noted that even the Kadence block options don't load as well. What I recommend here is that you remake the post as the data is still there in the database and the information on the frontend can be used to remake the post.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi,

I delete the connected spare parts and consumables and now I can edit the post. It seems like these connections were become corrupted.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Kostas,

Thank you for the updates.

Happy to see that you're now able to edit the posts. Can you confirm that the issue no longer occurs ?

If so then you can go ahead and close this ticket.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi,

I thought that the problem was solved but it is bigger. There isn't related with a specific item but with all Scientific Products that have related products. Once you add a related a spare part and consumable or an accessory (another post type) the editor has this problem. If I delete the connections through the connected products the problem is solved.

This happens only in Scientific Products as you can edit the connected spare part and consumables or the accessories that without any problem.
Try to edit the following Scientific Products that have connected items:
hidden link
hidden link

And if you try to edit the following connected spare parts and consumables or accessories, the editor displays all custom fields.
hidden link
hidden link

Shane
Supporter

Hi Kostas,

The issue was being caused by WPML, once WPML was disabled then the custom fields started to show up.

This prompted me to update your wordpress version to the latest version on a copy that I took of the site. However with the latest version of wordpress they have yet to fix an issue with the WYSIWYG fields not initialize correctly.

For more details on this you can have a look at our erratas page below.
https://toolset.com/errata/visual-tab-of-wysiwyg-fields-may-not-initialize-correctly-appear-not-to-save-data/

So it would appear that the initial issue was with WPML and your version of WordPress.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi,

Please help me to understand. What you mean is that you updated the WordPress to v5.9 using a copy of the website and the problem is solved. However, a new problem emerged with the initialisation of the WYSIWYG fields. Should I report the bug to WPML support? Or should I deactivate WPML as I don't need it yet. I could activate it later.

Thanks.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Kostas,

I took a duplicator copy of your website so that I can perform the tests without having to interface with your live site.

What I did was to update wordpress to its latest version and then the fields started to appear. Initially they weren't appearing because of WPML.

When I checked the site before updating and disabled WPML i saw that the fields show up. I suspect that it might be a case of compatibility with the version of wordpress that is currently installed and WPML.

Should I report the bug to WPML support? Or should I deactivate WPML as I don't need it yet. I could activate it later.

The recommendation is to keep WPML disabled for now given that you're not using it now. The main issue is that wordpress had introduced an issue with the WYSIWYG fields where they fail to initialize correctly.

Unfortunately if you update then your WYSIWYG fields won't work correctly and wordpress core has not yet resolved the issue.

Thanks,
Shane

I deactivated WPML and it works. I hope to solve the problem when I will have to activate it.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.