Skip Navigation

[Closed] Create Content Template From Existing Php Template

This support ticket is created 7 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 7 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
event template.PNG
event2.PNG
event 1.PNG

Hey Nigel,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a content template from an existing php template?

For example, I am using the "Events Calendar Community Tickets" plugin from Modern Tribe. They have a template that includes a form that users create their events with. I want to be able to create my own template for this form because I don't like the bland look of it. Here is the link to the form if you wanted to see it. -> hidden link (you have to be logged in to see it). You can also see the attached image of what it looks like. The name of the template is event-list.php.

So basically, is it possible to create a content template that allows me to redesign event-list.php and keep its functionality without me having to do any php?

There is another thing I am trying to do with the event calendar templates. I have a post form that I created. It is one field, and it enables users to add in a url that will then display a widget when it is submitted. (not implemented, but that is what I want it to do.) I want to be able to display that widget at the bottom of one of the event calendar template (the template that displays once you submit). Is it possible to add that field to the event-list.php template and have it display on the actual event.php template upon submit?

I hope this makes sense! Thanks again Nigel for all of your help.

- Chase

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Chase

"I want to be able to create my own template for this form because I don't like the bland look of it".

That sounds to me like you should just be using CSS to re-style the form. You want the same form content and you want the same thing to happen when the user's submit form, you just want to match the styling of your site, no?

The markup output by "Events Calendar Community Tickets" will doubtless include a bunch of classes for styling. You either need to target those classes to re-style according to your needs.

I don't know the plugin, but you may be able to add custom class names to the markup the plugin generates, in which case instead of adding styles to its classes, you might be able to add the classes from your existing site styling to its markup.

Re-creating the form in CRED wouldn't be difficult, the question is what does the form do when you submit it. It's the function that might be tricky to recreate. (CRED forms publish or edit posts or add and edit users. If you are doing something else you will need a bespoke solution.)

As for your second question, can you clarify step-by-step what happens when?

— There is a CRED form for a user to add a URL. As a CRED post form that means it will create a post and the URL will be stored with the post as a custom field. The post itself is meaningless, it is just somewhere to store the URL field, or is there something else going on?

— There is the Events form that a user (same user?) will use to publish an event. You want to retrieve the URL from the first form so that it can be used when the events form submits and you redirect to show the submitted event using some content template for events.

Does that sound right?

- What exactly do you mean by widget? Give me an example of what these URLs are and what they will be used to show.

- Can this URL field not be added to your events form? Is there some reason why that doesn't make sense or is not possible?

Hey Nigel,

I apologize for the lack of response the past few days. I have been out of town. I will reply with a detailed response soon.

Thanks,

Chase

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

No problem Chase, I'm not going anywhere...

Let me know as and when I can help you further with this.

The topic ‘[Closed] Create Content Template From Existing Php Template’ is closed to new replies.