Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Create a A-Z glossary list – part 2

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to create a filter that allows Users to find posts that begin with a certain letter, like a glossary. I started following this post, but mine does not work: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/az-glossary/

Solution: Remove the Query Filter and Filter Controls from the View of taxonomy here:
/wp-admin/admin.php?page=views-editor&view_id=9950
You do not want to filter the list of terms, you want to filter the list of posts.

Edit this View:
/wp-admin/admin.php?page=views-editor&view_id=9952
Add a alphabets taxonomy term Query Filter, where the alphabet term slug is set by a URL parameter "wpvalphabet".
Insert this View in the Page here: /wp-admin/post.php?post=10061&action=edit

Relevant Documentation: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/az-glossary/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,
i'm restarting the thread that got closed in url: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/create-a-a-z-glossary-list/ - today i got an email from the robot saying that "I’ll be closing soon this thread", so i replied 1 hour later but it was already closed, and i cannot re-open it 🙁

so - starting from the preceding thread, i still need help and i have to add the following feedback for you:

answering @nigel, that asked me "Let's get the View filter working first. Did you add a Query Filter to your View which lists authors? If you cannot see the Query Filter section you need to expose it using the Screen Options tab at the very top of the page. Then insert a taxonomy filter, for the glossary taxonomy, and specify that the value is set by a URL parameter wpvalphabet. Can you confirm that you have done that? I expect the filtering should then work."

i reply:

yes i did: you can see the glossay filter here: hidden link

but if you search - e.g. the "S" letter - you get nothing: hidden link

and if you look at the authors list you'll see that the S letter has posts in it, so is not "blank": hidden link

what am i missing? feel free to log in the system to take a look by yourself, if you thik you need it ?

thx,
s.

Hi, Nigel is unavailable at the moment so I'll be glad to take a look. Can you provide login credentials so I can check this setup in wp-admin? Private reply fields are enabled here.

OK here's what's going on. Remove the Query Filter and Filter Controls from the View of taxonomy here:
hidden link
You do not want to filter the list of terms, you want to filter the list of posts.

Edit this View:
hidden link
Add a alphabets taxonomy term Query Filter, where the alphabet term slug is set by a URL parameter "wpvalphabet".
Insert this View in the Page here: hidden link

Let me know if you get stuck somewhere.

Hi Christian,
thx for your hints: now the post listing and the custom search are working, but i have no "a-z" pagination: hidden link

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 10.27.49 AM.png

Insert the Glossario Autori (Tax) View inside the Glossario Autori (Post) View, in the Filter Editor panel. See the screenshot.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.