Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Confusion between Views a7 Layouts

This support ticket is created 6 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Author
Snip20180216_116.png

I am trying to: build a business directory listing local child-related businesses

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: example listing : hidden link

I have been following the videos (official and on you tube) I am using beaver builder Pro child theme. This was how i went about it. 1st i used types to create a custom post type "business listings" then i added post fields (such as company name logo, tel, email website etc...) then I created a custom template. Although I know HTML and CSS, I used the beaver builder button to design the layout. This was fine but when I want to the custom posts and i clicked view the layout did not show up. So I then created a view again using beaver builder button. Again this did not show up when I clicked view from the custom post list. Finally I tried creating a layout to see if that would be the solution. For this I clicked layouts form the toolset dashboard and ended up on the toolset front -end layouts editor (hidden link) This does now work and when I go to custom post and click view I can see the business listing as I want it. Isn't layouts a replacement for beaver builder in which case the previous steps were not required at all as they were replaced by layouts?

My question is therefore: What is the actual process - do I need to take all these steps? Also where can I get the short code to add a view to my home page? I would like to see a featured listing on the home page. I would also like to have my views for each category displayed on pages rather than posts so they can be easily accessed through the main nav bar. So again I need the shortcodes to be able to add them into my Beaver Builder layout.

Please note I have extensively watched every single one of your videos and gone through the documentation the process does not work the same for me! Is it because I used Beaver builder instead of CSS HTML?

Is it better to start over with CSS/HTML ? Personally i love the ease of Beaver Builder just noticed that it doesn't seem to work seamlessly with toolset ... yet!

Also note I tried to add a class in layouts so I could get a border around the logo image but that didn't work at all (see screenshot)

Thanks

Holly

Please focus on one issue each thread.
This will allow qualitative Support.

You can use Toolset with the Beaver Builder Plugin (Page Builder).
We do not offer integration with the Themer (Theme of Beaver Builder), although if you find any issue, let us know.

Beaver Builder Plugin works great with Toolset, but you will logically not use Toolset Layouts, if you use this Builder, or you will not use the builder, if you use Toolset Layouts.

There are some best practices to observe when working with the Builder:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-toolset-with-beaver-builder/best-practices-creating-templates-beaver-builder/

All ShortCodes are accessible in our GUI's, as you can see in the Documentation and Videos.
You can click almost everywhere on the GUI's buttons "Fields and Views" and "CRED forms" if you have CRED.
This then allows you to insert the ShortCodes anywhere you like.

We even have a WordPress Admin Bar Toolset GUI, where you see the same GUI as above explained but you can access it from he Admin bar.
You can enable this in Toolset > Settings > General
This will as well produce a "overall compatible" ShortCode that you can use in page builders as well.

The Correct approach to style a single post with Toolset and the Beaver Builder is to create a Post Type, then a Content Template, and then style that template with the Builder.
In the Builder you insert modules with the Builder and our field with our ShortCodes, which are all accessible from the GUI abovementioned.

Then you save it and that shows on the Front end, as long as there is not other Plugin or Theme conflicting.

There are a few known issues, as always, which you can find here:
https://toolset.com/errata/

There is also one for Beaver Builder
https://toolset.com/errata/styles-added-with-beaver-builder-to-a-loop-item-are-lost-if-the-loop-item-is-displayed-in-a-page-styled-with-beaver-builder/

Eventually you experience this issue?

Hi Beda, thanks for your reply. Yes that is the exact issue I was experiencing. (https://toolset.com/errata/styles-added-with-beaver-builder-to-a-loop-item-are-lost-if-the-loop-item-is-displayed-in-a-page-styled-with-beaver-builder/) Which is why I resorted to Layouts just so I could see it on the front end.

So can you explain how to apply the patch.

Am i right that I need to download the ftp drag the folders into my child theme and copy and paste the patch into the file? Is there a particular location? Or is it in the code that I need to paste? and if so where? The Head?

Once the patch is applied I should delete the toolset layouts view and it will revert to content template view right?

Thanks Hol

Snip20180218_128.png
Snip20180218_126.png

I think I have applied the patch but it is still in .zip format. Is this correct? This is currently applied in the Theme

Do i need to move this into the child theme? If so which folder is it? under "vendor" is it the "toolset" folder?

Thanks for your reply in advance

Holly

No, this is not correct.

Please follow the steps outlined in the erratum.
https://toolset.com/errata/styles-added-with-beaver-builder-to-a-loop-item-are-lost-if-the-loop-item-is-displayed-in-a-page-styled-with-beaver-builder/

1. Download the patch linked there (hidden link)
2. Apply it to the Toolset Plugins you have, in each Toolset Plugin, into the folder /vendor/toolset/toolset-common/user-editors/editor/screen/beaver

==> You need to unzip it after you added it to the folders mentioned above.
In each Toolset plugin, there is such a folder.
Add the file to each such folder, and unzip it.
After you can delete the ZIP.
Keep the unzipped file.

Keep in mind to apply this to EACH Toolset Plugin (each of our plugins has such a folder).

We never publish fixes for themes, since those would be 3rd party software.

Thank you!

Snip20180220_7.png

Hello Beda,

I have definitely placed the file in the right folder. However!! It is still in zip format. I cannot unzip it????? I don't know why I have tried all the options on the right click button . Can you please tell me how exactly you are supposed to unzip the file because I cannot move forward without this fix. Please not that I am technically very capable. I have tried right click and all the possible options that are available to me in the file manager. What am I missing? Thank you. Holly

Snip20180220_9.png

Hello Beda,

So i tried opening the file and I managed to save it as frontend2.php to my desktop so i copied and pasted that into the folder but there is another frontend.php in the file and not sure if i'm supposed to delete that! Also the zip is still there. Thank you. Holly

I updated the erratum with step by step process.

Please unzip the ZIP either on your computer and then upload it, or with cPanel, or with SFTP, whichever service your server provides.

The ZIP contains a file, that file needs to be put in the Toolset folders mentioned.
If you upload the ZIP directly and your server forbids unzip on the server, you must first unzip on your desktop.

My own server supports this without issues, but it might be that it is turned off on your FTP control panel.

In that case just unzip it before you upload to the respective folders on your Server.

Snip20180220_15.png

Hi Beda, Do I need to replace delete the old frontend.php or is it an addition to this in which case I just need to rename it?

This patch has to upload to the folder mentioned in the Erratum.

Then, it will replace the current file that you already have in that folder, yes.

Beda I have a massive issue now! It seem that all my content has competely gone !!! hidden link

I do not know what made this happen, but probably you did either not replace the file, or did not replace it everywhere needed, or left the old file in place, or deleted something that should not have been deleted.

Please proceed as follows:

1. Delete all FTP folders of Toolset Types Plugin:
- in wp-content/plugins, find all toolset plugins and delete them
2. Download them again from Toolset Download area and install them as used to on your site
3. Apply the patch as instructed.

Probably right now you have a PHP fatal error due to some missing or false files and that breaks the site.

This process will not affect your content but as usual, a backup is the correct way to approach this.

I will try that now

Snip20180220_16.png

Help please Beda, Right i did that deleted and reuploaded the whole of the toolset suite and problem remains!! its just affecting my home page (directory is missing everything else is there! Here is a screen shot of the only ftp file I have even been into today. Do you notice anything missing? It is a toolset folder Thank Holly

hidden link (home page named DIRECTORY

Please enable WP Debug on your site or on a test site and let me know what the error is.
https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

Please add Access to the site, as well for SFTP.
I will try to fix the issue.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.