Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Changing Taxonomy Type from hierarchical to flat (with some posts) not possible

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by simonF-8 7 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hi,
very very nice plugin you created!!! I love it very much!

Please help me I am trying to change an existing Taxonomy type from hierarchically to flat
because i want to enter many taxonomies with comma separated and this is only possible with flat taxonomy. And I also have several posts that i don't want do loose (erase taxonomy hierarchically and create a new one in flat).
It would be very nice if you help me to make this possible 🙂
Thanks and with Kind regards

Simon
I visited this URL:
hidden link

Dear Simon,

How do you setup the "existing Taxonomy"?
1) If it is a custom taxonomy created with Types plugin, you can edit it, in section "Taxonomy type", choose option " Flat - like post tags, with a text input to enter terms".

See our document:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/create-custom-taxonomies/
section "5. Advanced Settings"
Taxonomy type – this is an important option for determining the form of your taxonomy. A hierarchical taxonomy will behave the Category taxonomy, flat will be like tags. For the Property Types category we’ll choose hierarchical

2) If it is not created with Types plugin, you will need to locate the PHP codes, and add parameter "hierarchical" in it, see wordpress document:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/register_taxonomy#Arguments
hierarchical
(boolean) (optional) Is this taxonomy hierarchical (have descendants) like categories or not hierarchical like tags.
Default: false

Dear Luo,

thanks for your answer! The existing taxonomy was setup with your plugin. There was no taxonomy before.
When I am trying to change it i become the error
You can not use this slug because it has already been used or has a reserved word. Please choose another slug.
and it is not changing!

Greetings

Simon

I can not duplicate same problem, see below test site:
hidden link
user/pass: xgren/111111

Could you duplicate same problem in above test site?
If you can not too, please try this:
1) Make sure you are using the latest version of Types plugin
2) deactivate other plugins and switch to wordpress default theme, and test again

Hi Luo,

i deactivated all plugins and had still the same error, after changing the theme to twenty Sixteen theme it worked.
I am using the genesis theme in the newest version. This is normally a very good theme but there was the error. You know this theme?
Thanks very much for your help and i hope genesis can solve this problem!
Best wishes!!!!

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.