Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Category image field as header image in archive template

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.68 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by chrisL-13 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 9.58.08 AM.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I want to create a template to replace the standard wordpress posts archive for listing posts of a certain catetgory.

I have created a custom field with the slug category-image and added it to the Category taxonomy.

I have created an archive template called 'Topic listing'. I have built the post loop and above that I am trying to build a dynamically populated header that will allow me to use the same template for all the terms in the Category taxonomy.

I can use dynamic content for the archive title and archive description, but when I try to add the category-image as dynamic content (as the URL for the header's background image, I cannot see the field name to select it.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

No

Is there a similar example that we can see?

I wish.

What is the link to your site?

hidden link

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting in touch. From your screenshot it appears that you're not using one of our Toolset blocks.

Can you confirm if our Toolset image block allows you to add the Taxonomy image dynamically to your page ?

Thanks,
Shane

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 11.18.09 AM.png

Hi Shane,

When I add a Toolset image block to the template, above the loop, I see different options. The sensible one is 'Current Archive' but it only gives me the option of Post URL, Author URL or Author Picture URL for the image source. See attached.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Chris,

Just confirming that this is still the same issue.

The problem here is that the custom fields are still not yet available for selection as dynamic sources. In a case like this you will need to use the shortcode method to get your custom field values.

However in your case that will pose an issue given that you want to use the dynamic source as a background image which the shortcode method doesn't allow.

There are internal tickets for this specific issue but they have yet to be resolved so at this time we have no solution for you use case.

Thanks,
Shane

Hope this gets to the top of the developers' queue soon.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.