Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can’t take control over 3rd party custom user fields

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to allow Types to control user fields that were created by CIMY User Extra Fields.

Solution: Types only controls standard user meta content from the usermeta table, but CIMY User Extra Fields uses its own proprietary storage system. Since they do not use standard WP usermeta, Types cannot control these fields. Data migration would be required to port these old fields into Types.

Relevant Documentation: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/user-fields/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by katjaL 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I try to control previously made custom user fields. Now I use this thread (among your documentations) as a guide:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-to-get-customer-company-name-from-cred-checkout-page/

1. I go to Toolset > User Fields > User Fields Control
2. - I try to control the field “myfield” (meta key myfield) with Toolset, I click the “Manage with Types”, nothing happens
- I try to control the “myfield” so that I click the checkbox and choose from Bulk action select (in top) “Manage with Types” and click Apply, I get confirmation “You are about to start managin…. Do you want to continue?” I click Apply button.
3. Still the “myfield” is in the list as “Not managed by Types”.

Ok, I try to add the field to my user field group “My group” this way, I go to "My group" and I add new field > Choose from previously created fields, the “myfield” is there, I choose it.

I save, I check user info, the field is there but it’s empty, without data (shouldn't be the case). When I go again to Toolset > User Fields > User Fields Control I see in the list a new field “wpcf-myfield” assigned with Field Groups: “My group” and the old field “myfield” still there with “Not managed by Types”.

The custom user fields were originally made and managed with plugins “Cimy User Extra Fields” and “Cimy User Manager”. Now I tried to move the control of the fields to Toolset also by deactivating the plugins, no help.

Hi, I just ran some tests locally to see if I could make this work, but it appears that CIMY User fields are not stored in the usermeta table as standard User Meta fields. Instead, CIMY uses its own field storage tables, not wp_usermeta. Types is only set up to allow you to control custom meta added to the standard wp_usermeta table using standard WordPress methods like add_user_meta or update_user_meta. These values can be retrieved using standard WordPress get_user_meta. I think that the field you are seeing in the User Fields Control section is a different field, possibly one that was created in Types during your testing. Unfortunately I do not think there is any way for Types to manage these fields. You would have to recreate all the CIMY fields as Types User Fields, then migrate all the data over to Types, in order to manage the fields with Toolset plugins.

Thank you Christian, very helpful, I got it working after data migration, thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.