Skip Navigation

[Escalated to 2nd Tier] Can't Insert Shortcodes into Divi Modules

This support ticket is created 3 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by davidM-44 3 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

There has been a LONGSTANDING problem with inserting shortcodes (especially view shortcodes) into any Divi Module. You have previously recommended disabling "Latest Divi Experience" in order to allow insertion but that was meant to be a temporary fix.

This is getting RIDICULOUS. Divi keeps improving so it is IMPOSSIBLE to get use out of it without using the "Latest Divi Experience". It's time for YOU GUYS to get off your asses and fix this problem.

If you don't plan to allow your tool to be used on the growing number of websites that are using Divi, then you are shooting yourselves in the temple. At the very least make it possible within your own UI area to create a shortcode for ANY item in there and then copy/paste that shortcode into the Divi module manually.

I can't believe you have allowed this easily fixable issue to persist for OVER a year and a half at least.

COME ON! Fix this problem.

David McLeod

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 12.28.16.png
Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 12.27.58.png

Hi David

Sorry, we were working on Divi when a flurry of new users popped up demanding better support for Elementor and then we got sidetracked from that by Avada users yelling that a theme update broke everything and then got sidelined by the Beaver Builder crowd saying "Don't forget us!", but they were shouted down by Oxygen users who didn't really want anything from us but just enjoyed the chance to tell everyone how much better their chosen page builder was, but the rug was pulled from under them by someone at the back hollering "have you heard about Brizy?". Meanwhile, the Visual Composer crowd went on a march to insist that it really was the same as WP Bakery and supporting one meant supporting the other.

I think you can appreciate why we have been focusing our efforts on extending and improving the experience of building using Blocks, even if it's not your own preferred tool.

We haven't abandoned support for other page builders, but don't have the resources to do major compatibility development work simultaneously on all of them.

That being said, we are working on adding (or improving) page builder widgets for inserting Views, whether you design those Views with the legacy editor or with blocks, which are currently slated for release in Views 3.4 (we're currently on Views 3.3.4). I'm not sure when that will be out, there may be another minor version or two beforehand.

Just to be clear, the current advice about using Divi and Toolset together is here: https://toolset.com/2020/01/how-to-build-advanced-sites-with-toolset-and-divi/ (Essentially the advice is to use both on the same site by all means, but steer away from using them on the same page.)

If you are trying to insert Toolset shortcodes into Divi modules, do you not see the Toolset Shortcodes link in the admin toolbar, which will generate shortcodes that can then be copied and pasted into Divi modules? (See screenshots.)

On my admin page for a page/post created with Divi Visual Builder, the only thing I see on my admin menu is "Design with Tooset", which has a submenu that says NOTHING about shortcodes. I cannot find any option anywhere--even on the main admin page--that allows me to generate a shortcode for ANY view. The ONLY option I have found is to go into the view, click on "Create a page with this view" and then copy the shortcode from the resulting page, and delete the page from the database.

I'm not really interested in all the excuses you have for not supporting Divi. If you plan to continue down your path in this manner, at the very least add an option on the view itself to generate a shortcode that I can then copy into a module of the Divi page. So far, I have not had any problems getting these views to work within Divi modules. The problem is that your main "Fields and Views" menu button does not work inside any Divi module, even though the shortcode works fine.

David

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Checking again I see that the Toolset Shortcodes button is only available in the backend, e.g. when editing Content Templates (where my screenshot was from).

The new Divi editor edits pages on the front-end, and the Toolset Shortcodes toolbar menu item is only available in the admin context.

I've filed a feature request to make it available on the front-end, too, so I'll escalate this and let you know if that gets implemented.

I sure hope you mean "WHEN it gets implemented"! I think this is a very important feature that should be given top priority!
You already have the code available for generating shortcodes for virtually any view--how hard can it be to add a link or a menu option on the view itself to expose that shortcode generation?

Here are some options for you:
1. On the Views list, add a button that invokes the shortcode dialog and ends with the final shortcode that can be copied and pasted anywhere.
2. On any individual view, where the current "Create a page with this View" link appears, change the menu to say simply "Get Shortcode". Then when the link is clicked is invoked, present the same dialog you currently use, and create the final shortcode. On the same dialog, add an optional message saying "Add this to New Page?". Then you still get the page-generation code AND the shortcode in the same dialog.

David McLeod