Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can’t enable sorting by Header/field

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Create a View/Table that can be sorted by different columns by clicking on Headers.

Solution:

I suggest you try with legacy views, for example:

1) Dashboard-> Toolset-> Settings-> General, in section "Editing experience", choose option: Show both the legacy and Blocks interface and let me choose which to use for each item I build

2) Dashboard-> Toolset-> Views, setup the post view with legacy editor, and use "Table" layout mode.

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 2 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by robertR-12 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? Create a View/Table that can be sorted by different columns by clicking on Headers.

Is there any documentation that you are following? Have not found any

Is there a similar example that we can see? No

What is the link to your site? not applicable

I have found some threads in your help documentation that seem to indicate you can only create sortable headers by using the "legacy" views editor rather than the "blocks" views editor. Is this the case? Apart from not understanding why functionality was removed going forward, is there any functionality I would lose, or other limitations I might run into using the Legacy builder?

Being able to sort by clicking on Table Headers seems to be a very basic/needed functionality so I'm confused as to why I would need to use an "older" version rather than a newer one and concerned I will lose functionality or ease of use.

Just wanted to add that I've done further research and am hoping what I've found is incorrect. What I've found in your support forms so far is that:

a) You have to use the legacy views build to add sorting by columns. I've looked at the legacy viewer and really don't want to have to use it since it relies a good bit on coding/HTML, etc.
b) There are a number of fields (custom fields?) where you can't readily add links to the original post without jumping through some hoops (for example, using "Fields and Text" instead of "single field" and then manually adding some HTML link coding. (Whereas in some other items, the links can be added easily in the toolset sidebar.

Is this all correct? I keep watching videos (some of which sold me on toolset) that make it look very easy to do things, but many don't seem to apply to my use case (which is not all that complex).

container-link1.JPG

Hello,

Q1) You have to use the legacy views build to add sorting by columns.
Yes, in this case, I suggest you try with legacy views, for example:
1) Dashboard-> Toolset-> Settings-> General, in section "Editing experience", choose option: Show both the legacy and Blocks interface and let me choose which to use for each item I build
2) Dashboard-> Toolset-> Views, setup the post view with legacy editor, and use "Table" layout mode.

Q2) There are a number of fields (custom fields?) where you can't readily add links to the original post without jumping through some hoops
You can try Toolset Container block, with it, you can link the whole container to the post easily, see my screenshot

More help:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/container-blocks/

Thank you for the feedback. In Question one, if I use the legacy builder so that I can have sortable columns, how then do I add links to the original post? I've tried wrapping some shortcode anchor text around the loop content I found in other support posts, but it doesn't work.

You can setup the HTML link manually, for example:

<a href="[wpv-post-url]">Here is link to [wpv-post-title]</a>

More help:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#wpv-post-url

Thank you! What was confusing me was that I wasn't fully seeing the "Loop item in legacy..." window that showed the table cells of the queried content. I'm using the Divi theme and there was a message there saying that Divi wasn't set up as the builder for that content and I couldn't see any of it. I'm not clear what was triggering the Divi Builder on this particular section, but I turned it off and hope it doesn't cause an issue elsewhere. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.