Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can't edit fields, metaboxes don't expand

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by achimK-2 7 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I have created several Types custom fields, when I go back to try and edit them, the metabox doesn't expand and let me change anything. Nothing happens, visually.

Enabling full DEBUG on the server shows this :

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function translate_description() on null in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/spw/public/wp-content/plugins/types/library/toolset/types/embedded/includes/fields-post.php:498
Stack trace:
#0 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/spw/public/wp-content/plugins/types/library/toolset/types/includes/classes/class.types.admin.edit.custom.fields.group.php(677): wpcf_admin_post_meta_box(Object(stdClass), Array, 1, true)
#1 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/spw/public/wp-content/plugins/types/library/toolset/types/includes/classes/class.types.admin.edit.custom.fields.group.php(644): Types_Admin_Edit_Custom_Fields_Group->add_admin_style(Array)
#2 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/spw/public/wp-admin/includes/template.php(1048): Types_Admin_Edit_Custom_Fields_Group->types_styling_editor(NULL, Array)
#3 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/spw/public/wp-content/plugins/types/library/toolset/types/admin.php(1789): do_meta_boxes(Object(WP_Screen), 'normal', NULL)
#4 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/spw/public/wp-content/plugins/type in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/spw/public/wp-content/plugins/types/library/toolset/types/embedded/includes/fields-post.php on line 498

ps. This has already been reported in the past : https://toolset.com/forums/topic/in-an-existing-custom-fields-group-cant-expand-fields-to-modify-them/

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Jean,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

In a case like this the best thing to do is to provide me with a duplicator package of the site. This way i can provide our development team with an exact replica of the issue so that they can debug the issue.

To provide the duplicator package please check the link below.
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

Could you provide me with a link to the page where I can see this issue ?

Also this could be related to WPML. Could you disable WPML and let me know if the issue still remains.

Thanks,
Shane

I think I found the cause of the problem...

If a Post Fields Group contains a Description, then the Fields can't expand to allow us to change their making.

None of the Post Fields where there wasn't a description showed problems, only the 2 Post Fields group where I had a description.

Once you're logged in, visit hidden link, I've placed a description for show. Then, remove it, save and try to expand the fields.

BTW, I've had this same problem on another non-Multisite non-WPML site, so this is not an issue due to WPML running.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the clarity.

I tried testing this on a local test site but to no success.

If it possible I would need a local copy of this site for testing and debugging. Could you try this plugin to create a backup?

https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

Please let me know if this works.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi, as mentioned this is a multisite w/ SSL.

I can't use the plugin you mention, as the multisite backup capability is $179 USD. What I CAN do is to provide you with a SQL dump and a TAR of the site, as this is running on one of our DEV servers.

You can then run the script of your choice to install the site locally, or run a VM and use the same domains we have, for the sake of this validation.

If this works for you, provide me with a secured box, and I can provide a URL to D/L the manual site backup.

Tks.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

Yes that can work and i've enabled the private fields so that you can provide it.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

I tried to retrieve the files from dropbox but i'm getting a 404 error.

It seems as though the files were removed.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

I have put the files back in place, I had them removed just this morning, thinking you had already taken them 🙂

Go ahead !

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

I was able to download the files.

Also we have released a new version of Types. Please try this and let me know if it helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Great, will wait to hear from you once you've tested locally.
I will try the new version in the meantime.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

Im having issues restoring your backup.

Could you let me know if the issue is still there after the update?

Thanks,
Shane

cant-modify.jpg
field-groups.jpg

Hi Shane,

The client is running all the latest versions of the plugin as of March 1st 2017. And yes, the same issue is still there.

Anytime there's a description for a Field Group, I can go in a field group, but can't expand the fields to change their settings.

I've tested this in both Safari (latest) and Chrome (latest), on MacOS (latest).

Attaching 2 pics, hope it helps a little.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

I've posted a ticket to our 2nd tier supporters so that they can have a look at this.

Could you setup the example fields once more so I can point them to it ? I checked the site again but it seems you removed the fields.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

Another question when you create a new field group does the issue carry over to that field group or is it limited to the ones that were previously there.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.