Skip Navigation

[Resolved] can't access post author option

This support ticket is created 2 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 2 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to change the author of a post, but suddenly I don't have access to that option.
The "Author" item is on the post page, but there is no name or option to change it.
In the Quick Edit mode, the Author doesn't show up at all.
This started to happen after I updated Toolset Views today ...

For a little more info: this is only happening with the Custom Post Types I created through Toolset. I checked the settings and "Author" is ticked for each post type - but the drop-down is not showing up in the editor.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 07.28.54.png
Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 07.29.45.png

Hi Elise

I checked on my own test site with the latest version of Views (3.6.2) and the post author dropdown is available both in Quick Edit and on normal Edit screens for Types custom posts (screenshots), both with the classic and the block editor.

Can you please try ruling out any conflict with 3rd-party code?

Disable all plugins except Types to confirm it works, then activate Views to see if it breaks, and—if not—keep reactivating other plugins to determine when it does. You may also need to test with a default theme.

I discovered something interesting that leads me to believe this is an issue with Access, and not with another plugin.

I checked the Access permissions for the post types I was having problems with, and I found that if they were marked as "Managed by Access", I couldn't see the author drop-down. But I COULD see the author drop-down for ones that were marked "Use the Default WordPress read permissions".

So I changed one of the problem post types to the "Use Default" setting, and voila - I can now see the author drop-down.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Sorry Elise, there was a glitch in our system and this thread has been lost in no-man's land until now.

Since posting this has been confirmed as an issue with Access: https://toolset.com/errata/cannot-set-post-author-when-post-type-managed-by-access/

The problem has been fixed in development, and we should have an Access update including the fix fairly soon.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.