Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Cannot add menu when using Toolset Layout to create Astra custom layout header

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Cannot add menu when using Toolset Layout to create Astra custom layout header

Solution:
here are certain types of Layouts cells that cannot be used inside content layouts, but only in template layouts.

You can find the proposed solution, in this case, with the following reply:
=> https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cannot-add-menu-when-using-toolset-layout-to-create-astra-custom-layout-header/#post-1195794

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-use-the-toolset-layouts-migration-plugin/#creating-the-template-layouts

This support ticket is created 5 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.08 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by joe-enteleos 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

Hello,

I am trying to create a unique header for a custom post type using Astra Pro and Toolset. To do so, I'm using the Astra Custom Layouts Module (hidden link), setting to display on my custom post type. Once I create the header in Astra, I am given the option to edit it using the Toolset Content Layout Editor. When I open the Content Layout Editor, it all seems fine, except I am prohibited from adding a Menu item or other Site Elements, ("You cannot use this cell in Content Layouts).

Is there any way around this? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - can you please share screenshot where you exactly trying to add header? is it at the post content (body) part?

Shot04.jpg
Shot03.jpg
Shot02.jpg
Shot01.jpg

Sure, Minesh. Here is a four-shot sequence of getting to the roadblock.

Minesh
Supporter

Well - There are certain types of Layouts cells that cannot be used inside content layouts, but only in template layouts:

That is why it displays the message that you can not use the menu cell. Following are the list of cells you can not use with content layouts.

WordPress Archive
Child layout
Post content
Comments
Widget
Widget area
Menu

You can read about it here:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-use-the-toolset-layouts-migration-plugin/#creating-the-template-layouts

Content Layouts will only control the the_content(), that means body part, not header, footer, sidebars etc.. , so if you have theme that is fully integrated with Tooslet, you can use the theme options to control the header, footer, sidebars etc..etc..

Here is the Doc which will guide you how you can control the theme options and what theme options you can control:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/using-toolset-with-astra-theme/#controlling-astras-theme-options-for-templates-and-archives

Shot10.jpg
Shot09.jpg
Shot08.jpg
Shot07.jpg
Shot06.jpg
Shot05.jpg

I tried something else, with perplexing results.

On the right side of the Astra Custom Layout creation page is a widget to select a Toolset Template Layout. I chose to "Create a new template layout for Custom Layouts" (Shot05). This took me to the familiar Layout interface, where I was able to insert a menu (Shot06). I kept it simple to see what the results would be. Going back to the Custom Layouts interface, (Shot07), showing the Toolset Layout was being used.

After publishing the Custom Layout and Previewing it, the page displayed the new header, and the footer, with nothing in between, (Shot08). Perhaps this is as it's supposed to be. But looking at a page of the custom type selected for this Custom Layout, which originally looked like this with the site-wide header (Shot09), it now has lost all header material completely, (Shot10).

Really not sure if I'm on track to solving this, or if maybe I need to look for another solution. I'm hoping you can help. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please share problem URL and access details so I can look in to it.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. If you agree to this, please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP).

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

I was working on my further experiment while you replied and did not see it. Thanks for providing those links. Yes, it looks like we're running into the limitations of Content Templates. But something extra seems to be happening when I set up a layout to connect with the Astra Custom Layout, and I'm really wondering if there's any way to use that to get the result I'm after: a different header on a custom post type. (I know I can do this with Elementor, for example, but I'm trying to get it done with only Astra Pro and Toolset.)

Minesh
Supporter

Well - again, you need to understand this limitation that Layouts will have only affect on your content part, other parts like theme header, footer, sidebar etc..etc.. will be controlled using the theme options (available only if the theme is integrated) and can be limited.

OK. I think from what you've said it makes sense for me to drop this track, and work with what I've got. Thanks for your prompt replies in helping me make the right determination. You probably saved me a bunch of wasted effort. Appreciate it!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.