Skip Navigation

[Resolved] blocks are not showing in the website page editor.

This support ticket is created 3 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by acts-1224C 3 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

when I want to edit a page all i can see are the alternative blocks from kadece and ultimate blocks. All toolset blocks are not showing and thus making it impossible to continue editing the page

this is the page where I have started to use blocks when they were available:

hidden link

hidden link

I can give access to the tech to verify it further

Hello, I have enabled private reply fields here so you can share login credentials. I'll take a look and give you some feedback.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 8.56.13 AM.png

I can see the problem, and it looks like there is a server-side problem. I opened the JavaScript browser console to see if any JavaScript errors are triggered, and I can see dozens of server 500 errors and HTML2 protocol errors on required JavaScript files, for example:

text-widgets.min.js:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 ()
media-video-widget.min.js:1
jquery.geocomplete.min.js:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I'm attaching a screenshot here. This could be a server-side configuration issue or a problem with some CDN/caching layer. Is it okay for me to temporarily disable some plugins and activate a default theme like Twenty Twenty to see if there is a conflict between Toolset and some other component(s)?

Yes Chris go ahead and make your attempts. if there is something with the cdn we can try to deactivate it too. that is fine with me. I have a backup of the site. But if I cant get the toolset plugin to show then the back up is not good either for I went back to 7 versions of wordpress and the same situation happen. I have toolset in about 20 other sites and never experience something like this.

It could be as you said the CDN.

Okay stand by, I am running my tests now.

It's odd, sometimes it works without any errors and other times it throws dozens of errors. I can't seem to pin it down to any one particular combination of plugins or themes. I've turned off all plugins except Toolset and the must-use SSO plugin, and the errors still occur sporadically. That leads me to believe there is a server-side issue, or a caching/CDN layer issue. If you're able to provide FTP access, I can check turn on a temporary server log and check for more details about the errors.

If you'd prefer not to provide FTP access and are unfamiliar with server logs, I can show you how to activate one temporarily. In a standard wp-config.php file created from wp-config-sample.php without modification, you would look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then add these lines, just after the WP_DEBUG line:

define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );
define('WP_DISABLE_FATAL_ERROR_HANDLER',true);

If your wp-config.php file has been updated, you may need to adjust existing debug code. Reload the page editor screen in wp-admin a couple of times. If any server-side errors are triggered during this process, it will create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Use FTP to look for this file in the same directory as wp-config.php. You may need to click "Refresh" in your FTP browser to see a new file appear. Please download this file to your computer, open it in any text editing software, and send me its contents. Once that is done, you can revert the changes you made to wp-config.php and delete the log file using FTP.

Just a quick update to let you know I'm still investigating this problem. Today I was able to replicate the server 500 errors after disabling all Toolset plugins and clearing the cache, so I'm leaning towards a server-side issue that is unrelated to Toolset plugins. I'll give you another update shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.23.39 AM.png

Here's my current status:
- I have successfully reproduced the server 500 errors after activating a default theme, Twenty Twenty, and deactivating all plugins and must-use plugins.
- The problem sporadically occurs when editing this page: hidden link
- You can see the problem in the JavaScript console. Sometimes I have to refresh the page 4 or more times to see the problem occur, as it is sporadic
- I have reverted the site to its previous state for now. All plugins and must-use plugins that were active before I started investigating are currently active, and your original theme is active.

Since this problem can be reproduced without Toolset or any other plugins/custom themes active, it indicates a problem on the server side, unrelated to Toolset. However, enabling debug logs in wp-config.php like so does not produce any logged errors:

//define('WP_DEBUG', false);
define('WP_DEBUG',true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );
define('WP_DISABLE_FATAL_ERROR_HANDLER',true);
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

So something is going on on the server that is restricting this error log from being generated, and I cannot find any additional information about the 500 errors in the existing error_log file. Furthermore, if I add invalid code to your wp-config.php file that produces a Fatal Error, it is not logged in the existing error_log file or in the error_log.txt file that should be generated by the debug code above. That file is never generated.

If your hosting provider allows server log access in your hosting control panel, you may find additional information there about the errors. Otherwise, you may need your hosting company to investigate the sporadic issue that is preventing JavaScript files from loading in wp-admin because of server 500 errors as shown in the attachment. This screenshot was taken after deactivating all plugins and must-use plugins and activating a default theme Twenty Twenty. Since JavaScript files are not loaded successfully, the block editor malfunctions. For example, deactivate all plugins and activate Twenty Twenty, then reload the page editor until the JavaScript errors are reproduced. Then click "Set featured image" and you'll see an error. This is native WordPress functionality that should work regardless of other plugins and themes.

Feel free to provide the information I've included here in a support ticket with your hosting provider so they have all the information I have. I will stand by for your update.

I see you tried all possible fixes. I appreciate Chris.
I will try to save content, and do a full purge in this domain and start again.

Question, I have an situation in getting the message system to work when a new contractor is made and create portfolios. How do I make that happen ? I am in the dark and I cant find information to make the message system work. If I put a ticket how do I make it to have you helping me whenever you have the time?

Thanks

New threads created by Christian Cox and linked to this one are listed below:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cannot-get-message-module-to-work-when-creating-new-posts/

I have split off a new ticket for your question, but there is a national holiday tomorrow in USA and I will be unavailable beginning at 11:00am today (11:00 GMT -5) until Sunday. If you'd like to wait, I can respond on Sunday. Otherwise, another supporter will assist you.

Chris I wait for you even if takes a whole week. You could take a look at your next availability no pressure. Beginning today, I will do the necessary purging and reframe it, then it should be ready for you to address that other situation.

Thanks

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Christian is currently on holiday today but he will be back on Sunday to continue assisting with this.

Thank you for the continued patience.

Hello, let me know if you need anything else from me to resolve this issue.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.