Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Best way to make "admin only" user fields?

This support ticket is created 4 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.93 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Author

Hi,

I created a custom user role called "Teacher", and added custom user fields so the teacher can specify what their teaching specialities are, e.g. "good with dogs and children."

Then I used Toolset Forms to make a page where the teacher can edit their specialties. So far, so good!

Now: I also want to track some "administration only" fields for teachers -- things that only admins are allowed to change. For example, only an admin can specify whether a teacher has passed certain tests. (My intent is to use Toolset Views to make pages where you can see lists of teachers who have passed certain tests.)

So, I added some more custom fields for the teacher role, e.g. "Has passed level 1 certification." And I did NOT add these fields to the Toolset Forms page where the teacher edits themselves. This works great, the teacher is allowed to edit the fields I want them to, and isn't able to edit the administration-only fields.

*** However, if they go to the standard built-in wordpress /wp-admin/profile.php "edit my profile" page, they can edit all those "administration only" fields I added! ***

How do I keep teachers from using the built-in /wp-admin/profile.php editor?

Or, am I going about this the wrong way, and there's a better way for me to set up "administration only" fields for users?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Have you installed the Toolset access plugin? If yes: Go to:
=> Toolset => Access Control => Types Fields tab => User Meta Fields Access section => select your custom field group => uncheck the checkboxes permissions for "Modify own fields" and "View own fields in profile" for your teacher role and save the settings.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. Much better than just hiding the profile editor altogether.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.