Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Best to use WP native content fields or create new text/WSYIWYG fields in CPTs?

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by joe-enteleos 5 years, 7 months ago.

Author

I have a custom post type which needs two custom text fields for two different summary descriptions. I could just use the built-in editor and excerpt fields for this purpose, or I could create two custom fields for this custom post type, and not show the built-in fields when adding a new post of this type.

Are there advantages to doing one over the other? Speed? Front-end? Implementation in Views? (Also, I'm using Elementor to build many of the templates.)

1. I could just use the built-in editor and excerpt fields for this purpose

Right, but excerpts are limited in it's output (filters that remove HTML etc)
I suggest to have both fields of the same type, and I would suggest WYSIWYG for 2 summary description fields, as tehy allow you to add HTML and ShortCodes, it may be handy later.
The reason I would pick two fields of same kind is so it's easier to style the output (you can maybe re-use some things in it)

2. Generally we say, don't add it if it's there already. So a native editor of WordPress usually can be used - a WYSIWYG only would be needed if you need to add details to the post that you cannot or do not want to have in the Body, which may repeat, in different fields, sections of the page.
So, the more control you want, the more single detailed fields you will create, as a sideeffect

In your case, I would remove the Post body and use 2 WYSIWYG.
(Unless you would not care about the slight differences of the editors and control of output then you can us a Post Body and a WYSIWYG)

That's great, Beda. Your logic makes sense, and I'm going to run with it. Appreciate it!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.