Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Best and easiest way to make Toolset work with Genesis

This support ticket is created 6 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 6 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author
activated 1.jpg
deactivated 1.jpg

I need some basic advice on how best to make Genesis work with Toolset. I have reviewed a number of support threads and videos and I feel like I know the things that CAN be done but not sure on the things that SHOULD be done. Naturally I have reviewed the few pages dedicated to this topic in the user documentation.

Here are some of the problems I strike with various pages, views and Genesis themes, bearing in mind that I have done minimal manipulation of templates:
- repeated headers
- adding a menu to a primary location results in repeating the menu in the secondary, whilst removing the primary and only using the secondary results in a message that ni menus have been selected.
- loss of formatting on pages
- post content that spills over into the sidebar
- inconsistent displaying of Genesis layout elements - the header and footer will display on one page containing a view, but on the next page containing a different there are no header or footer elements..

I guess what's even more confusing is that my test sites look <b>better</b> when I do not have the Genesis integration activated, as demonstrated by the attached images. The 'deactivated' screenshot is what the theme is supposed to look like...

I'm sure I'm missing something very easy here, so here are some basic questions:
- Should I use the integration plugin?
- Do I need to rebuild my sites using layouts, rather than just displaying Toolset components within Genesis?
- Is there a step-by-step tutorial somewhere that will resolve the issues above?

Thanks in advance,
Greig

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Greig,

Thank you for contacting Toolset Support. The main docs to use Toolset with Genesis are here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/layouts-genesis-integration/
https://toolset.com/2015/12/genesis-and-toolset-are-fully-integrated/

1. Should I use the integration plugin?
==> No, integration plugins are not needed anymore and they will be retired soon. Layouts is going under major updates and at moment it will only allow you to modify body content section, and not the full page.

Fullpage integration may come in future version of Layouts, but Layouts is recently supposed to takeover only on the content part.

2. Do I need to rebuild my sites using layouts, rather than just displaying Toolset components within Genesis?
==> No, using Layouts you can design the content section, other areas (header, footer, sidebar etc) will be inherited from your theme. Using Layouts is also not required as you can only use our Views plugin to display various content, creating content templates, modify lists of posts etc.

3. Is there a step-by-step tutorial somewhere that will resolve the issues above?
==> Above are the 2 docs that we suggest but with current Layouts updates there are some parts that might be irrelevant (like: if it asks you to create Fullpage layout) but other things will work fine by following those docs.

For more info please see this document:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/layouts-theme-integration/

I hope this clarifies things. Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.