Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Basic setup questions

This support ticket is created 6 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 6 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hello support,

in a project i’m currently working on I got some basic questions on making the right decisions.

The new site is a listing site for various locations on an island. Eg. beaches, dive sites, restaurants, bars, hotels etc. There is a hierachical structure in these locations (watersports: - kitesurfing, -windsurfing, restaurants: -bbq restaurant, -sushi restaurant, bars: -cocktails, -beachbar etc).

I have two general questions and i hope you can help me.

I created various custom post types that reflect all this types of locations. These post types share the same post fields, the same content template (with some conditionals in both the fields and the template) and the same taxonomy (the one give above). When you create a new restaurant you choose the ‘location type’ in a dropdown (to make sure the right conditionals are used in the fields + template) and additonaly you assign the right category for that particular location.

To give the user an overview of all this types of locations i created pages (per location type) and use a template called ‘location overview’. Pages use the same taxonomy so the chosen category defines which post type to shown on the page.

However, i’m not sure if this is the preferred way since WP automatically creates an overview itself hence the archive page for that particular post type.

So my actual question is; what is the best way to set this up? Use the ‘standard’ archive page for it or create a new page? And why is it better? Or is there a third possible option, a custom post type called ‘overview page’. And more general, when to decide for the ‘page’ version and when for an ‘archive’ version (or when for the post type version).

Secondly.
For this same project we provide top ten pages. Pages that list the best beaches, restaurants, bars etc. Good to know; it is not necesarrily a list of existing post types (it might also be something like ‘the best child-friendly places’). In my head there are two options to set this up and again i’m looking for the best way.

Option 1.
Create a custom post type called ‘top list items’
Create acontent template called ‘top ten page’,
Create a taxonomy called ‘top list categories’ and assign it to both the CPT as pages.
When you create a top ten page you can assign that category and it will show the items.

Option 2.
Create a custom post type called ‘top lists’.
Create a custom post type called ‘top list items’ which is a child from ‘top lists’.

My feeling says the second option is better. But i’m not sure. So again; when to create a page and when to create a post type?

Hope you can help!
Thanks a lot!

Marc

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Marc,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Actually how you set it up would be fine because if we were to go a different route, lets say use taxonomies instead of CPT to categorise the location types then we will still have the Archive generated for that taxonomy term. So if we go to the term page "Sushi Restaurant" then everything under sushi restaurant will be listed.

However with views you do have the option to customise your Archive pages using our views plugin.

For your second question I was thinking that there might be a plugin that could automatically do this because with the options your were mentioning they won't be an automatic list. SO for true top ten lists they need to be automatic

Try using this plugin below and let me know if it helps.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/top-10/#description

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.