Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Auto content template wrappers

This support ticket is created 7 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by henrikG 7 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Juan.

Author

I have been working a bit with the latest toolset update with beaver builder integration.

I have found issues with the latest beaver builder and toolset starter theme + Layouts, they are mentioned in another thread : https://toolset.com/forums/topic/beaver-builder-for-content-template-for-posts-gives-me-a-blank-page/

But then i realized that now when it is easy to divide your site into content templates, it would be rally nice if content templates could be auto wrapped with a div container with a class named after the content template:

<div class="the_name_of_the_content_template">
   <!-- The content template data goes here, --->
</div>

The reason why this would be nice, is because then you can be sure that you will always have a styling handle to style the content of the content template specifically.

If I created the content template html manually then I could simple "remember" to create this div container my self, but when you use Beaver Builder, then you can't add this container your self, because the output of beaver is not edit able.

Also if you created the content template html your self you may not remember to include this container, and different developer working on the site will not remember to include this as well.

Because of this it would be nice if you could have a setting, to auto append this wrapper when ever a content template is used.

Actually the slug of the content-template should be used as the class in the wrapper.

I can see that I can write a filter which wraps my content template

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-filters/wpv_filter_content_template_output/

That would solve my suggestion, but I still would like to hear your thoughts on my feature request.

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Henrik

Thanks for the feedback.

Mmmm not a bad idea indeed. However, there might be some grey areas 🙂

As you know, Content Templats can be used in a set of different ays. One way is to assign to single posts, for single frontend display. They can also be used in archives, to replace the content of the elements listed. And you can also use them as blocks of content displayed using th wpv-post-body shortcode.

One setting to wrap the Content Template output might not fit all the cases. you might want to have it in the singular frontend page, for example, but not when used in an archive, or as a content block. Yes, we could add one setting per scenario, or a way to override the setting in a particular case, but that not only defeats the purpose: it makes the GUI complex, and at some point you are nevr sure which setting is to be applied.

As you mention, we do have a filter to adjust the Content Template output Its last argument is named $kind, and it holds a value that lets you separate cases based on the current usage of the Content Template. I do think that this filter provides all what you might need, so you can wrap your output just in the case that you wish.

So although I am not against the idea entirely, I would pretty much leave this to specific cases using the API we designed for this. I can see a bunch of problems related to this having side effects with Bootstrap, and any other layout framewrk, which depends tightly on HTML structures.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Well I have made this filter like this.

public function wrapContentTemplate( $content, $template_selected, $id, $kind ) {

$returnContent              = $content;
        $wrapperClassTemplateSelected   = '';
        $wrapperClass                   = '';

if (strlen($content)) {

if ($kind) {
                $wrapperClass = 'cpc-content-kind-' . $kind;
            }

if ($template_selected) {

$wrapperClassTemplateSelected =  'cpc-content-tpl-' . $template_selected;

if ($wrapperClass) {
                    $wrapperClass .= $wrapperClass . ' ' . $wrapperClassTemplateSelected;
                }
                else {
                    $wrapperClass .= $wrapperClassTemplateSelected;
                }

}

if ($wrapperClass) {
                $returnContent = '<div class="' . $wrapperClass . '">' . $content . '</div>';
            }
        }

return $returnContent;
    }

The filter wraps the content in a div with the kind and id as class names,

i.e
cpc-content-kind-single-post
cpc-content-tpl-1070

That way you can style for the individual post types and/or the specific content template by usint its ID.

I believ it will create better styling handles on the site.

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Henrik

Thanks for the example.

Well, that is exactly why we add those API filters: so you can craft a solution that you find useful without us needing to bloat the interface with options and checboxes for such small things.

Glad that you sorted this out.

Regards.

OK

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.