Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Any 3rd party calendar plugins support the Toolset custom post with date field?

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Juan 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Dear Beda,

I look around the Toolset forum but cannot find the calendar module from Toolset, could you recommend any 3rd party calendar plugins which can support the Toolset custom post with date field?

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Calendar Module?

There is not calendar module.

What are you referring to?

To add a Date Field to your Posts you can use the Types Custom post Field of type "Date"

It's available under Toolset > Post Fields

This will allow you to choose a Date with or without a Time on your Post edit screen or in your CRED Form for creating / editing that post.
https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/functions/#date

Dear Beda,

Sorry for my unclear question. I am looking for a calendar plugins but most of them only deal with the WordPress native post date. I want to seek your advise whether you know other plugins that can deal with Toolset custom post date field.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

I see.

I don't know of any Calendar Plugin that takes Dates our of Custom Fields.

I think (since our Custom fields are nothing else then "normal" WordPress Fields) it should be easy for a Plugin to grab those, but see:
- how should a 3rd party Plugin know, how the field is named?
- how should it know, how the date is stored?
- that is why, if you where to create such a plugin, you would of course use the native WordPress meta data which is known.
- A possibility for such a plugin would be provide a hook where the User (you) can actually tell the plugin where to look for the specific dates.

So, bottom line, I am almost sure, none of those plugins will natively allow you to grab any sort of Custom Fields which the plugin would have to guess.

What do you actually want to achieve?

Would it be a solution, to somehow update the Post Date (WordPress native Post Date) with the Types Custom Field Date?

This can be as example done with CRED API when submitting a form:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-api/#csd

Dear Beda,

As WordPress default not allow guest to read the future post, so that's why I choose to use Toolset Types and create post with a date field to store the event date, if 3rd party calendar plugins accepts custom field in the query and generate the calendar, then I don't need to have to mark the publish date in the future and guest can view the post.

Unfortunately Toolset does not have the calendar module, find a plugins to allow guest to read future post is more difficult to find a calendar plugins to accept custom field. I found lot of the calendar not only use the native WordPress publish date but having its own date field.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

1. I found lot of the calendar not only use the native WordPress publish date but having its own date field.

Yes, but this is completely different then getting a field created by Toolset - the plugin will never know, what field you would like it to read.

2. I could think of a solution with a custom PHP hook, where you update the calendars Custom Field (date) on post save/update with values from either the Post date or the Toolset Custom Field.

3. Or, you use direct the calendars Custom Meta fields

4. We do not have plans to add a "calendar module"

Regarding #4 a Developer will get in touch with you here, as we do forward Feature Requests direct to the DEV.
And this is a feature request - which I see sometimes raising in the forums.
But it's not a common one, and we don't have any plans yet fur sure, to implement a Calendar Add On.
Too many variables in styling, interactions and data population are present.

Let's see what our Lead DEV will think about this

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Kelvin

Thanks for your feedback.

I am sorry, but I do not think there is a third party plugin out there that can work with Toolset date fields. And not because we use an obscure format (we use timestamps, which is fairly common), but because calendar plugins ted to be a complete slution, including events management and display.

Now, I see that your question makes sense. It would be nice to have a display mode for a date field as a calendar, showing posts on each date. Or even as an agenda view, shere you can see upcoming posts given a date field. The second thing can be done with Views, simply by filtering by that given custom date field, with a BETWEEN comparison that gets posts from today to, say, a week from now. The first one is not a display option using Toolset.

As Beda points out, this is not a common feature request, which does not mean that it is not an interesting one. There are many display options, which would mean that this could become a hoge project to provide it with some flexibility. We currently have no plans on adding such a visualization mode for date fields. However, I am taking a note with this, and putting it on u¡our internal tracking system for future evaluation. Of course, it does not mean we will implement it, we can not make such promises, but we will surely evaluate this.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.