Skip Navigation

[Resolved] An error occurred in the upload. Please try again. When adding an image.

This support ticket is created 2 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

We've encountered an inconsistent issue on a Toolset post form (called "Add a Listing.") It uses the WordPress media uploader. Sometimes, when a user attempts to upload an image, they get the error:

"An error occurred in the upload. Please try again later."

We have triple checked permission to upload images both in Toolset and on the server, disabled caching on the page, triple checked our code, and yet this issue persists. I *cannot* replicate this issue on my machine. Neither can another developer. Yet users seem to encounter it all the time. It seems to predominantly happen in Chrome.

The issue persists even when a user refreshes the page. Our hosting environment (Kinsta) suggested it could be PHP workers not being available, but it seems highly unlikely that a user encounters the error multiple times on one page simply due to server resources, and despite a refresh and trying it at a later time. The issue persists.

We thought it could be caching, but we've disabled all caching to the page via Cloudflare, CDN, on-site caching tools, and even the Ngnix configuration on our hosting environment. Needless to say, it persists.

The current workaround has been to try another browser. It's not a long-term fix.

Any thoughts as to why this is occurring? Due to its inconsistency, we can't accurately test whether there is a conflicting plugin. But since it's trying to use Toolset's integration with the WP Media Uploader, I thought I would start here.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

Unfortunately, this is a very generic WordPress error and can be caused by a number of reasons. It is not something specific to Toolset or any other third-party plugin or theme.

I found this thread online where other users who were facing the same error (for different reasons), have shared their fixes:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21726630/an-error-occurred-in-the-upload-please-try-again-later-in-wordpress-when-uplo

The fact that you and your developer were not able to replicate this suggests that it requires very specific conditions/parameters.

The first thing I would recommend is to turn on WordPress debugging and closely monitor the errors and warnings logged in the server's error logs.

Another useful step would be to collect some information from the users who are experiencing this. For example:

- the operating system, browser, and device they were using
- the type and size of the image file that showed the error
- their geographical location and time of the day that this error was encountered

This collected data will help in establishing a pattern to see why the image uploading is failing only for specific users.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.