Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Activating Layouts causes Views not to load

This support ticket is created 7 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Suzanne Wenger 7 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
WithoutLayoutsActivated.jpg
AfterLayoutsActivated.png

I am trying to: Activate the Layouts plugin

I visited this URL: hidden link

I expected to see: What it looks like now

Instead, I got: After activating Layouts I got a blank page. Meaning no content, but with headers and footers. Also the page was slow loading and sometimes gave me the 500 error instead of loading the headers and footers.

So the pages which were using the Views plugin to load content no longer worked after Layouts is activating. Is this standard? Do I need to do something right after activating Layouts to make Views still work?

I don't plan on fully integrate Layouts with my current theme but will integrate with in a few of my custom page templates. I hope this is possible. I plan on using this plugin to create marketing landing pages which will use different templates then the rest of the website. Will this cause errors with the plugin? Also will this not allow me to use Views too?

Thanks again for your help,
Suzanne

I have the debug information...I just seemed to miss the form box to paste it into. For some reason I didn't see it in the ticket submission form this time around.

Let me know if you need it. Also to clarify, in my previous support requests I had issues with another plugin, Landing Pages, which was causing trouble with your plugins. This plugin has been removed so this is no longer a problem.

Suzanne

Dear Suzanne,

It is abnormal, The Layouts plugin should be compatible with Views plugin.

I test the URL you mentioned above, I can see the 500 error too, it means there should be some PHP errors in your website, please check these:
1) Make sure you are using the latest version of Views + Layouts plugins in your website, you can download it here:
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/
2) deactivate other plugins and switch to wordpress default theme, and test again
3) Enable PHP debug mode, copy and paste the debug logs here
PHP Debugging
In case you think that Types or Views are doing something wrong (what we call a bug), you should enable PHP error logging. Again, edit your wp-config.php file and add the following:

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
This will produce a file called ‘error_log.txt’ in your WordPress root directory. Make sure that the web server can create and write this file. If it cannot, use an FTP program to create the file and make it writable to Apache (normally, user www-data).
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/debugging-types-and-views/

Hi Lou,
Thanks for the reply. I have error reporting turned on, but I am having a hard time getting an error to show, I just get the standard simple 500 server error showing. And I don't see anything in the logs, maybe I need to look deeper. Do you think these issues are caused by my php version 5.3?

Thanks,
Suzanne

There should be some PHP debug logs in the file error_log.txt, you can contact your server provider to get the PHP error logs.

According to wordpress document:
https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/
To run WordPress we recommend your host supports:
PHP version 7 or greater

Hi Luo,
We are now being switched to a new server platform with the latest version of PHP. This seemed to have solved the problem.

Thanks,
Suzanne

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.