Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Accessibility of form labels on input and select controls

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have a custom search View that includes a select field filter. The label for this element is not connected to the select field using a "for" attribute, so the field is not optimized for accessibility.

Solution: We have a feature request in place to improve the accessibility of select fields in a custom search View, and in the meantime you can nest the control inside the label element. This is valid HTML and is more accessible than before.

<div class="form-group">
<label>[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]Language[/wpml-string]
[wpv-control-post-taxonomy taxonomy="language" type="select" default_label="-- select Language --" orderby="count" order="DESC" url_param="wpv-language"]</label>
</div>
This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

This relates to a previous topic, https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cant-associate-a-form-label-with-a-form-control/

Thanks for implementing a solution for radio buttons and checkboxes.

I still have a problem with input fields and select dropdowns when filtering a View.

For example, the Views code

<div class="form-group">
<label>[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]Language[/wpml-string]</label>
[wpv-control-post-taxonomy taxonomy="language" type="select" default_label="-- select Language --" orderby="count" order="DESC" url_param="wpv-language"]
</div>

outputs as

<div class="form-group">
<label>Language</label>
<select name="wpv-language" class="js-wpv-filter-trigger form-control"><option selected="selected" value="0">-- select Language --</option><option value="english">English</option><option value="spanish">Spanish</option><option value="arabic">Arabic</option><option value="french" disabled="disabled">French</option><option value="german" disabled="disabled">German</option></select>
</div>

This type of form control still throws an accessibility error because the label has been added manually and cannot be associated with the <select> control.

It would need markup like this, from hidden link

<label for="favcity">Choose your favorite city?</label>
<select id="favcity" name="select">
<option value="1">Amsterdam</option>
<option value="2">Buenos Aires</option>
<option value="3">Delhi</option>
<option value="4">Hong Kong</option>
</select>

I can remove the label, switch the type in the shortcode to select and add a <fieldset> and <legend> and this is what I get:

<div class="form-group">
<fieldset>
<legend>Language</legend>
<div class="checkbox"><label for="language-english"><input type="checkbox" id="language-english" class="js-wpv-filter-trigger" name="wpv-language[]" value="english">English</label></div><div class="checkbox"><label for="language-spanish"><input type="checkbox" id="language-spanish" class="js-wpv-filter-trigger" name="wpv-language[]" value="spanish">Spanish</label></div><div class="checkbox"><label for="language-arabic"><input type="checkbox" id="language-arabic" class="js-wpv-filter-trigger" name="wpv-language[]" value="arabic">Arabic</label></div>
</fieldset>
</div>

Each checkbox has its own label and id with the same value e.g. language-english. Great!

This markup is accessible, but I don't want to have a form with all checkboxes if there's a lot of options.

What I want is a select box with a single label and id which are associated by the same value. Something like:

<label for="language">Language</label>
<select id="language" name="select">
</select>

The same goes for input controls, i.e.

<label for="wpv_post_search">Search</label>
<input type="text" name="wpv_post_search" class="js-wpv-filter-trigger-delayed form-control" placeholder="Enter text to search for" id="wpv_post_search">

In Beda's reply on the thread on 28 September 2017 he noted this as a feature request, but it's now 6 months later. It would be highly beneficial to make these accessibility enhancements for your plugin (a good selling point!)

I would love to know what progress you have made. Please can you update me?

I don't see that our developers have come up with a good solution for this, unfortunately. Until a proper dynamic "for" attribute solution is provided, you can nest the taxonomy control shortcode inside the label tag:

<div class="form-group">
<label>[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]Language[/wpml-string]
[wpv-control-post-taxonomy taxonomy="language" type="select" default_label="-- select Language --" orderby="count" order="DESC" url_param="wpv-language"]</label>
</div>

It may require some CSS adjustment for the wrapped field, but it is valid HTML and it's more accessible.

Thank you. That code validates as accessible, so is an interim solution.

Will you update your blog when you have a dynamic for/id association?

We usually include information like this in the changelog of each release, but not always directly in the blog. I will make a note in the internal ticket to update you through this forum post when progress is made on this modification.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.