Skip Navigation

[Resolved] When I create a layout with columns, the preview shows everything stacked

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

I am trying to: Create a lyaout

I visited this URL: hidden link

I expected to see: The correct layout with columns

Instead, I got: A stacked layout

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for contacting Toolset Support.

Can you please share your Debug Information with us so we can see it? I have enabled debug info box for your next reply:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Looking forward to help you.
Thank you

Here is the debug info from layouts

Noman
Supporter

Hello Benjamin,

To debug this issue I will need to take a look at your setup. So I need to request temporary access (WP-Admin) to your site
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

=== Please backup your database and website ===

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

✙ Please add the Link to the [Layout] Edit Screen, [Page] Edit Screen where you have applied the Layout.

Looking forward to help you.
Thank you

Noman
Supporter

Hello Benjamin,

I have switched to default (Twenty Sixteen) theme and install and activated Toolset Twenty Sixteen Integration. Now layout is displaying properly on this page:
hidden link

Pitch Child theme is not properly integrated with Toolset Layouts. Please follow these docs:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/layouts-theme-integration/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/develop-layouts-based-themes/

Thank you

Thank you I will follow your recommended guideines for integration and keep this ticket open just incase I need help.

Thankyou

Noman
Supporter

Hello Benjamin,

Sure, you can keep this ticket open and ask for help anytime you want to.

Have a great day.
Thank you

Hi Norman,

So I tried to create my own plugin for integration with my theme based on your instructions. However it was beyond my capabilities so I will need a consultant/freelancer to integrate toolsts into my theme which is called 'Pitch'. Can you recommend a freelancer that can do this?

Also I am having real trouble creating a simple search. I am trying to replicate our current website hidden link where there is a simple search box (like google really-use search term 'Jack Straw') and then once a serach term is added the results appear below (At the moment the results are appering before I add the search term)

I must be missing something simple because this must be the most common method of creating a search facility

Morning Norman,

Just checking to see when you guys are back at work. I have a bit of a deadline today.

Thanks

Just to simplify my needs.

I want to create a seach box (like Google) and just return the results below (like Google) where the search terms are seraching - Post Title, Biography, Categories. Simple but I cannot find a away of doing it without all the existing posts displaying all the time below the serach box BEFORE I have entered a search term.

Noman
Supporter

Hello Benjamin,

Sorry we ran into the weekend, thank you for waiting on this. In your case, I suggest you try setup two pages, first page display only the filter form, set the form target to another page, which display both the filter form and results. Please see the short video I have created to demonstrate this:
hidden link

More help: Displaying the Parametric Search View on the Site:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-page-filters/

Since this View is a parametric search, it includes both a ‘search box’ and a ‘results’ sections. Select if you want to display both of them in the same page or in different pages.
hidden link

- And yes, we do have some recommended list of service providers here if you would like to take a look: https://toolset.com/consultant/

Thank you

Great Thanks Norman,
I will try the 'separate' method first to se eif I can get it to work - Ideally I want to use ajax so once a user enters a search term it displays below (without showing the results beforethey submit a keyword)

Noman
Supporter

Yes you can try out difference AJAX options that we have in the View settings or edit page. I hope it would help your case.

Have a great day,
Thank you

Hi Norman,

So I have create a search page with a Search form (shortcode view) and created a results page (shortcode view) and on the results page have added a frm above it so people can retry and make another search but when I reload the results page it once again displays all the posts/results.

There must be a way around this coz this is the simplest way of using a search facility for the user. I cant believe this is not a function within the search.

Also I deleted the Layouts plugin coz this just made it cluncky when everything can be done using Views.

let me know if it is possible to do just a search form and display the results below?

Noman
Supporter

Hello Benjamin ,

Please kindly open a new ticket for this Second problem regarding search form and we will help you to resolve this issue as well. This will help other users with similar problems to find solutions when searching the forum, I am not allowed to handle multiple issues in the same ticket. If this is OK with you and mark this current ticket as resolved?

In the new ticket:
1. Can you please provide us step by step details that how you have created the search form? (preferably with back-end screenshots)

2. What you expected to see on the front page?
3. What you actually see. (preferably with front-end screenshot and Link)

Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.