Skip Navigation

[Resolved] WCAG 2 Compliance

This support ticket is created 4 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Greetings,

This is a question, not an issue and did not know where best to post.

Is toolset WCAG 2 compliant?

If not any plans to make it compliant?

Thanks much,
Steve

Hi, I'm not familiar with that standard but I can ask my 2nd tier team for more information about it. Just to clarify, are you asking if the Toolset software is compliant, or if the content produced by the software is compliant?

Hi Christian,

It's the content produced by the software. We're in the US and the country passed laws saying that websites need to be accessible to disabled individuals, so site need to be accessible to screen readers, for individuals who can only use a keyboard, etc.

What I'm looking at is that all fields in a forms, search queries and custom post displays can be tabbed through and read by screen readers. We've been adding software that allows users to adjust font size, contrast and color (for those who are color blind) so my main concern is tabbing and screen readers.

The laws are fairly vague on enforcement and about a year or so ago lawsuits against any business that is open to the public who's websites are not in compliance increased greatly. The law basically refers to "public accommodations" and protects the rights of physically impaired to receive such services at the same level and quality as everyone else.

Many large and especially small companies have been sued. For example, Netflix, Harvard University, MIT (university), Nike, entertainers like Beyoncé, Amazon, etc. Just need to do a search for WCAG lawsuits to see what's been going on in this country.

We work mostly with travel and tourism clients, so all of them are subject to the laws. We've move to only using themes that are compliant such as GeneratePress, and Astra to name a couple and are also restricting our use of plugins to those that meet compliance or can easily be tweaked to meet compliance such as Elementor as a page builder. WordPress itself is also compliant.

Here's a link to w3.org standards guidelines: hidden link. Most of what we are seeing are lawsuits over A and AA levels. Not much for AAA levels.

Sorry for how long this is, but since this mostly affects those in the US I wanted to explain what we've been experiencing.

Thanks.
Steve

Okay thanks, I have consulted with my 2nd tier support team and asked for some clarification and testing here. If you have encountered any specific issues with compliance, I'll be glad to report those to the team and get feedback for you.

I have an update from our development team. We wanted to let you know that we do not currently have formal testing in place for WCAG compliance, but we are in the process of adding it. Any accessibility issues that are uncovered during this testing will be addressed in a future release of the software. I'll be glad to keep you updated here as I receive additional information.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the update.

Our developers have let me know that WCAG compliance will be added along and along as we update the software, but are unable to provide a more definitive timeline. Thanks for the report, and we will continue to improve WCAG compliance as we release version updates.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.