Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views Controls in Different Area of Content Template

This support ticket is created 2 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by aaronM-9 2 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
wireframe.PNG

I am creating a page that has 3 columns. The middle column displays a Views output but I would like the search/filter controls to be in the left-hand column, intermixed with other content. In the attached wireframe you can see the controls in the left column and the output in the middle column. The content just above the controls would be unrelated to the View.

How do I go about doing this in the Content Template? Thanks.

- Aaron

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for getting in touch. You can have your view in search filters in a left column and the results on the right. However the problem is that you won't be able to split up the search form into multiple instances as you want it.

The search form will need to be rendered in one go.

Thank,
Shane

Okay, so all of the content layout then needs to happen inside the view itself, correct? Does Toolset still use the bootstrap column layout as how to lay these out? Sounds like I'll need to do some coding.

- Aaron

Shane
Supporter

Hi Aaron,

so all of the content layout then needs to happen inside the view itself, correct?

Are you referring to the content that is being displayed by the view or the entire page's content ?

Does Toolset still use the bootstrap column layout as how to lay these out?

Yes we still have bootstrap to handle the column layouts.

Thanks,
Shane

Meaning, I can't have the search/filter controls living outside the view itself. So - I don't think I can build the columns in the content template. I think I need to build the columns in the view itself, and then put the controls in the left column and the output in the middle column.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Aaron,
I can't have the search/filter controls living outside the view itself

You can have the search filters separated from view results. You can actually pull just the filter only and just the results only as 2 separate shortcode.

Example

[wpv-form-view name="my-view" target_id="self"] <---Displays only the search bar

[wpv-view name="my-view" view_display="layout"] <--- Displays only the results

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Okay, so can I have the "search bar only" shortcode in one area of my content template, the "results only" shortcode in another area of my content template, and still have the search bar properly updating the results? Thanks.

- Aaron

Shane
Supporter

Hi Aaron,

That is correct.

Thanks,
Shane

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.