Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views 2.6 Breaking website with fatal PHP error

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
After updating to Views 2.6 the client sees the following fatal error:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_convert_case()

Solution:
The mbstring PHP module is not included by default on all PHP 7 installations but is required.

This dependency will be removed in an upcoming Views update.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Sammut 5 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Upon updating to Views 2.6, the WordPress Visual editor is not working. If I turn off views everythign works fine, but the site is very reliant on Views. We tested all of our plugins and Views appears the issue. Can you assist?

I discovered this in my logs.

[31-May-2018 01:08:43 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_convert_case() in /home/smallworldvacati/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/application/controllers/api.php:143
Stack trace:
#0 /home/smallworldvacati/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): WPV_Api->__call('callback_get_av...', Array)
#1 /home/smallworldvacati/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(203): WP_Hook->apply_filters(Array, Array)
#2 /home/smallworldvacati/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/embedded/inc/classes/wpv-shortcode-generator.php(656): apply_filters('wpv_get_availab...', Array)
#3 /home/smallworldvacati/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/embedded/inc/classes/wpv-shortcode-generator.php(290): WPV_Shortcode_Generator->register_content_templates_group()
#4 /home/smallworldvacati/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): WPV_Shortcode_Generator->register_bottom_builtin_groups('')
#5 /home/smallworldvacati/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
#6 /home/smallworldvacati/public_htm in /home/smallworldvacati/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/application/controllers/api.php on line 143

Thank you!

Hi Sammut,

Thanks for reporting this problem.

Unfortunately, I couldn't replicate your issue locally. So, it seems that it's a problem with your installation.

I'm sure that this issue needs to be debugged locally using the debugging tools because we will need to check which part of the code causes the issue.

Anyway, to be able to do so, we will need to work on a copy of your website.
You can use the Duplicator plugin to provide this copy, upload it then share the download link with us here.

I will set the next reply as a private one so that you can provide the information securely.

thanks.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Sammut

Sorry this hasn't been followed up yet.

I can see from the error message that you posted in the initial question that your server appears to be missing the mbstring PHP module.

That's a requirement for Toolset (although we may remove that dependency in an update).

Could you please contact your host and ask them to enable mbstring?

That fixed it. Thank you!!! 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.