Skip Navigation

[Resolved] View filter by current user nicename

This support ticket is created 2 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by JamesS2731 2 years, 2 months ago.

Author

Hi there,

I'm trying to create a dynamic link for the bbpress forum users to take them directly to their notification options.

I thought I could user their username in the link:

<a href="/forums/users/[wpv-current-user info="login"]/edit/">Email Notifications</a>

but looking at bbpress, it needs to be their nicename.

I tried:

<a href="/forums/users/[wpv-user field="user_nicename"]/edit/">Email Notifications</a>

but this then requires a query filter to limit the result to the current user.

Do you have any idea how I can either:

1. Use the user_nicename field but limit it to the current user

or

2. Use the nicename field with the wpb-current-user?

Any thoughts or ideas most welcomed.

Best regards
James

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi James

It doesn't look either shortcode—on its own or in combination—is able to output the user nicename for the current user.

You can output the nicename with the wpv-user shortcode, but cannot specify the current user.

You can specify a specific user via the id attribute, so I suggest you register a simple custom shortcode that returns the ID of the current user, and use that to provide the value for the id attribute of the wpv-user shortcode.

So the shortcode would be like this:

add_shortcode('current-userid', function () {

$uid = get_current_user_id();

return $uid;
});

Then register this shortcode so that it can be used in Views shortcode arguments, at Toolset > Settings > Front-end Content > Third-party shortcode arguments.

You can then use the shortcode like so:

[wpv-user field="nicename" id="[current-userid]"]

Many thanks Nigel, that worked perfectly! Thank you for such a quick response.

Best regards
James

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.