Skip Navigation

[Resolved] using the wpv-post-excerpt shortcode in a content template refreshes the page

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
If I use the Post Excerpt on a Single Post's content template or directly in the Post Body, and click on the "Read More" link, it simply refreshes the page and does not show the Post content.

Solution:
It's expected.
The Excerpt will usually be used on a list of posts, and then, lead to the post, where you read more.

So, if you create a Archive, or a Posts Loop, and place the Excerpt it will direct you to the Post itself

But if you apply a Excerpt this way to the Post itself it will simply redirect to what WordPress assumes correctly to be the post.

So, if you want Custom Links to something else where you then show the whole post (which usually IS the post) you would need to customize the Read More attribute of that ShortCode.

As example:

[wpv-post-excerpt length='55' count='word' more='<a href="http://your-site.com/your-link">Read More</a>']
This support ticket is created 8 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by fredT-2 8 years ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 5.39.06 pm.png

I am trying to: display an excerpt of the Toolset Types custom post type within a content template.
this works fine, but the Read More tag simply refreshes the content template. (therefore showing the excerpt again, instead of toggling the rest of the post content)

I expected to see: an expanded display of the content

Instead, I got: the same excerpt. Seems to be stuck in a loop!
We have Types 2.0.1 and views 2.0 and wp version 4.4.2, Bootstrap 3.3.6, Genesis and Dynamik (both current versions).
Screenshot shows the "code" in the content template.
Thanks, all help appreciated

Well, the Excerpt will usually be used on a list of posts, and then, lead to the post, where you read more.

I assume, you use that Content Template for your "real" single Posts, right?

So, if you create a Archive, or a Posts Loop, and place the Excerpt as you do in the List (also with a content template) it will direct you to the Post.

But you can not apply a Excerpt this way to the Post itself (in single view)

It will simply redirect to what WordPress assumes correctly to be the post.

So, if you want Custom Links to something else where you then show the whole post (which usually IS the post) you would need to customize the Read More attribute of that ShortCode.

As example:

[wpv-post-excerpt length='55' count='word' more='<a href="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>">Read More</a>']

This is expected behavior, if you apply your Content template to your Post directly.

Thanks Beda, that cleared it up for me.
I already use the archive / post excerpt as you outlined. Anyway, I'll have to think of an alternative way to toggle content.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.