Skip Navigation

[Resolved] User Notification does not get sent

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by helenmaryC 5 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
Notification Triggers.PNG

I am trying to set up a notification which should be sent when a user updates their information.

The test email sends successfully. I have also setup a notification on a form which edits a CPT and that sends successfully.

I have tried both triggers for the notification, "When a user is updated by this form" and "When custom fields are modified" (I'll upload a screenshot of that section) and no notification is ever sent when when I log in as a regular user and submit the form after changing user info.

The form itself is set to Edit existing user with role of Member (a custom role I setup with Toolset).

I noticed that someone else had reported this problem a few months ago, so I checked and I am on the latest version of all of your plugins. I still have WP Email Users deactivated, which was causing a compatibility issue before. And the fact that the CPT notification goes out makes me think it isn't a compatibility issue anyway.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

I just checked this on a local test site and didn't have any problems.

Specifically, I tried the simpler test, namely just sending a notification whenever the edit user form was submitted, which worked.

In such scenarios I suggest you use a plugin such as WP Mail Logging (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-mail-logging/) which records messages sent.

Your issue may be a mail delivery issue rather than an issue with the mail being sent in the first place. Form notifications are built on standard WP mail functionality, and once an email has been sent what happens next is effectively out of our hands.

But please check if the email is being sent using such a tool first.

Thanks for the heads up on WP Mail Logging. I hadn't heard of it and can see where it will be useful.

I tested with my CPT form and the WP Mail Logging IS capturing the sent email.

When I make a change with the User form, the data is saved in the database, but no email is logged in WP Mail Logging. I currently have the trigger option "When a user is updated by this form" selected. There is no option for "When the form is submitted."

Could there be a problem with the content of my notification? The Subject and Body are as follows:

User update for [wpv-user field="user_firstname"] [wpv-user field="user_lastname"]

First Name: [wpv-user field="user_firstname"]
Last Name: [wpv-user field="user_lastname"]
email: [wpv-user field="user_email"]
Send CRFCRC Newsletter to this email? [types usermeta='user-newsletter' user_is_author='true' state="checked"]Yes[/types][types usermeta='user-newsletter' user_is_author='true' state="unchecked"]No[/types]
Cell Phone #: [types usermeta='cell-number' current_user='true'][/types]

I figured out how to put the site into Maintenance Mode so that I could disable my plugins.

Looks like there is a conflict with Elementor. The user form will send the notification if Elementor is NOT activated, but will NOT send if Elmentor is activated.

Nigel
Supporter

There is nothing obviously wrong in the content of your form that would affect whether it is sent at all.

In a situation such as this, the first thing to eliminate is the possibility of conflicts with other plugins or your theme.

Please disable all non-Toolset plugins and switch theme to twentyseventeen and check to see if it works. If it does then it should be possible to identify the conflict by a process of elimination.

If that doesn't help then I will probably need a copy of your site for testing: hidden link

I'll mark your next reply as private in case you need to share a link to a copy of your site.

See my September 20, 2018 at 1:32 pm message.

It looks like the problem is Elementor.

Nigel
Supporter

Sorry, crossed wires, let me see if I can reproduce that.

Nigel
Supporter

Nope, it still works on my local site if I have Elementor (and Elementor Pro) activated.

So it perhaps requires something more specific.

Where is the form inserted?

Is it a page that is designed with Elementor?

If so, how have you inserted the form?

My Profile Design.PNG

The form is inserted on a page called "My Profile" which is designed with Elementor Pro. It is inserted using the [cred_user_form form='edit-user-info'] shortcode. There is also a custom shortcode on the page to display additional info from the Member CPT, but I tried deleting it and submitting the user form and still no notification, so I don't think the conflict is there. I'll attach a screen shot of the design page in case that helps.

I also just tried to insert the short code on a non-Elementor page and it DOES send the notification. If I switch to editing with Elementor, the send fails. I tried both inserting the shortcode in a shortcode widget and in a text widget but it failed both ways.

The page and form are secured using Toolset Access. Both are set to require a logged in user of custom role "Member."

Nigel
Supporter

Thanks for that. I was able to reproduce the same on a local test site and so I have escalated this so our developers can take a closer look.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime if this is an active site, as you have discovered yourself you will need to insert the form on a page not designed with Elementor.

I'm just glad I wasn't imagining it!

We only have about 85 users, so I should be able to manage this manually until the fix is available.

Thanks!

Nigel
Supporter

Hopefully we'll be able to include a fix in a minor Forms update expected in a week or so.

I'll reset the status of this to escalated and keep you posted.

Nigel
Supporter

Just a quick update to let you know that the issue will be fixed in the next release of Toolset Forms (2.1.2), which is due in a week or so.

That is great! Thanks for letting me know.

Did the 2.1.1.2 update not end up fixing this problem? I installed the update this morning and then updated a user with the form and no email was sent per WP Mail Logging. The changelog didn't mention this issue, so I wasn't sure if it was fixed or not.

Thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.