Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Unable to upload XML file. The upload just returns back to the Import page

This support ticket is created 6 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Robert Davies 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am trying to: I have a custom post type. I've been provided an XLSX file containing the data I need to populate over 800 posts. I've created an import XML file by
1) Using Excel to export to XML by creating a schema file
2) Importing the data to MS Access access and then exporting an XML file

I've tried to both upload the file and copy/paste it into the space for XML text import.

In all cases data is not imported and I am returned to the Types Import / Export page.

can you assist please

Hi, we have a guide for importing data using a CSV file (which you can export from Excel). Rather than trying to convert Excel to XML like you have described, I recommend following the steps outlined here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/

If this does not work for your needs for some reason, or if you need additional assistance, please let me know and I will take another look. Thanks!

Hi Christian
This has been a massive improvement thank you.
I still have a minor issue that I'm investigating in that not all the fields are filling even with the correct prefix.

Can I confirm. Should I be naming fields by prefix+name or slug+name

Thanks

Rob

Hi Robert, you need to name columns using these formats -
Types custom fields: wpcf-slug
Basic post information: csv_post_title, csv_post_post, etc. as described here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/csv-importer/
Remember that serialized data structures are not supported, so fields like checkbox groups and repeated fields cannot be imported this way.

Feel free to check out our sample CSV file here:
hidden link

Hi Christian

That last bit of advice really helped and all my data is imported

However I selected the Type for my import and the data moved into WordPress posts and not my actual Type

I'm not sure why this happened but if there is a way to move from Posts to a type that would be great

Best Regards

Rob

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Robert,

As Christian is currently on vacation I'll be here to help.

Since i'm just picking up the ticket I see that most of the issues have already been resolve, however i need a bit of background on the final issue.

When you say "Type" could you explain what you are referring to 🙂

Also moving from Posts to Type

Please let me know as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

My apologies
I've created a custom post type using toolset which contains a number of custom fields
I've been having issues with importing just over 800 records into this from a CSV file.
My last run took the data in correctly
However instead of being delivered into my custom type the import when into WordPress Posts.
I now need to figure out why this happened (I think its an issue in categories) or to move the data to either my existing custom post type or a new one - which ever we can do quickest and easiest. There is no data in my custom post type yet so no issue in removing that if need be

Let me know if that helps

Best Regards
Rob

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Robert,

Would you mind sending me a copy of the xml file to this email shane.c@onthegosystems.com

This way I can check the file to see the post type that was created when it was imported.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

I've been out of the office for a couple of days and we've managed to resolved this by using a plugin to move the data from WP Blog Posts to our Custom Type. I'd like to say its working really well and I'd like to thank you for the help

Rob

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.