Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Types created custom type and fields just fine, but will not SAVE input for post

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 8 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ianV-2 8 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Evaluating Types for two websites (which are the same, except for visual branding - same plugins, theme, etc.). One [first install and test] worked fine (still does), one [new] does not.

Only difference In can think of during install, in case it matters: Instead of recreating types after installing on second web server, I exported from old site "types data" to new site. It looked fine, but had issue. I deleted all and hand created all again, still no joy.

I can create and see custom post types, fields, etc. - even when editing the custom post. That all works fine.

I am trying to: given a custom post type, I enter the information, click publish. doesn't save (and form reverts back to "default"/empty values.

I've compared admin panels for each and every setting between the two websites. The ONLY visual difference I notice is that is under Edit Custom Post Type. The working one has a Custom Fields section, and it lists the fields Types controls (I assume). [none are checked, btw]. The non working one does not display ANY fields. Yet when I go to Custom Fields Control, it shows them there, with the correct Group, Types Name, and Type!!

Any assistance or ideas for fixing would be appreciated!

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum and for providing the Debug Informations

Could I ask you if you created your previous (test) site with a older Types version than you're currently using?

If yes, please repeat the steps of Exporting / Importing Types Settings/Posts Types to your new install.

If you haven't yet any content on your new site, I suggest to firstly reset that (new site) Database so you can start with a Clean install.

It isn't absolutely necessary, as importing Types lets you choose how to handle new/old setting upon the import process. It's just in case you haven't any relevant, not recoverable data on it, it is always better to start from a clean Database.

Make sure, you export/import only after having completely updated your test site's plugins, check if all is working as expected, and then perform the export/import process.

If this produces the same result as before, I would need to have more infos.

1. Are you looking at the Editor Interface for New "Posts"
(Dashboard > your_custom_post_type > New/edit)
or at the settings screen for your Custom post Type itself?
(Dashboard > Types > Custom Post types > your_custom_post_type > Edit)

2. In Dashboard > Types > Custom fields, you mention all fields are correctly listed. Could you check what's under the setting for each Custom Field Group > Where to display this Group?
Perhaps you could try to re-save those settings?

3. Please could you send me a few screenshots of:
- Your Custom Post Type Settings Screen
(Under Types > Custom Post Types > your_custom_post_type > Edit)
- A example Post Edit Screen Before and After save.
(under Dashboard > your_custom_post_type > Edit/New)

4. Please send me a Exported (zip) file of from your Test Site, using the Types Export function.
You can share it with me using Google Drive or DropBox
I can then import that file to my local test install and try to reproduce the issue according to your description.

Please don't hesitate to inform me in case the issue persists and, in case it does, could you provide me the additional Infos?

Thank you

Beda - thanks SO MUCH for replying here. I'll answer your questions in brief, but I think I've narrowed down the problem. I've been working on it the past hour (my clients site, and Types setup specifically). I will post more in just a bit...

To answer: Yes, originally used Types 1.6.6.2 to build data. Had to do the deactivate plugin trick to upgrade it to .3 and .4, but when I reactivated all the data was there (still worked on first site). After that, I exported the data to the second site (that didn't work).

I ended up, on the second site, completely removing custom posts, Types settings, and the Types plugin - including emptying trash and inspecting the wordpress db internals (didn't change anything there). Re-installed and am now debugging there...

Will report more in just a bit, but I think I've narrowed it down to something with Types itself... (a bug?)

I've perhaps solved this issue (still working), but not sure if it was oversight on my part or a bug in the software. Leaning toward a bug. This seems to be perhaps related to import/export, since that's where I originally saw the issue... but it's more in the core of Types I think... At least now I can duplicate it.

So, as mentioned above, I re-installed Types, added custom post type (same slug), added custom fields. All works fine.

It is only when I added conditional display logic that I duplicated the fail (saving a custom post wouldn't update ANY data for the post, not just the one with conditional display). So I played with one field, and tested:

no conditions: SUCCESS saving a custom post.

($(bg-status) = sold) : SUCCESS saving a custom post. Note that the condition was auto generated using the simple logic.

($(bg-status) = forsale) OR ($(bg-status) = sold) : FAILS to save. Note that I had to switch to advanced logic because the simple logic only does AND and I needed OR. Also tried with forsale and sold in quotes, still didn't work.

($(bg-status) !== picture)) : SAVES FINE. Note I'm still in advanced logic, and just edited it.

IS that a bug? Does Types support OR? I think it does, because I SWEAR the first site is using the logic just fine!!

Thanks for the Details

The OR expression should work, as you can read about here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/types-custom-fields-conditional-display/ > Conditional fields based on expressions

I'll need to analyze this closer.

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

?? Please backup your database and website ??

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site.
This is also a reason the backup is really important

Please if possible send me also a Exported File (zip) of the Types which are working (your test site), so I can import it locally and compare + analyze as well the working Types.
(Please use DropBox or Google Drive for this)

I will then eventually consult with the DEV Team if some adjustments are needed here.

Please could you provide me the additional Infos?

Thank you

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.