Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset Support for the WP REST API

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Pacific/Pago_Pago (GMT-11:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by amonsosanz 7 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Riccardo Strobbia.

Author

Jay

I'm building a large "listing style" progressive web application.

I've used Types to create my data model, entity relationships, taxonomies and custom fields.

For users, all listing creation/editing/deletion is done with CRED on the frontend. The WP backend will not be used by any user types in favor of frontend user account roles created with CRED and Access.

And I'm using Views & Content Templates for display logic all within a single html "content container" in my current theme template.

Other areas of the application are being generated using Toolset's API options where views, conditionals, etc. are hardcoded into areas of my theme.

Soon, I'm going to be moving to a "Headless WordPress" system and not using a WordPress theme templating system for the application's frontend in favor of using the WP Rest API connecting to a separate frontend written in Angular, React, or some flavor of a MEAN stack. This approach is exploding in the past year due to the WP REST API (and it being added to core).

But for now, I'm using a *very* simplified barebones WordPress theme consisting of just style.css, functions.php, and index.php. The only real WordPress theme code is for a basic loop where I call the_content:

<!-- Webapp Content -->
    <?php if (have_posts()) :
       while (have_posts()) :
          the_post();
             the_content();
       endwhile;
    endif; ?>
<!-- END Webapp Content -->

I am not using WordPress's menu system, comments, page titles, archives, etc. in my theme template at all... just that loop. This is currently working wonderfully with Toolset and I've been able to create basically anything I can imagine without any issue.

However, as I consider moving to a Headless WordPress setup and connecting a different custom frontend, I'm looking for information on the current support/integration of Toolset Types, Views, CRED and Access with the WP REST API.

I know that Types now has support for the WP REST API in custom post types, but I was wondering if Types taxonomies, custom fields support that as well?

And more importantly, what's the status of WP REST API support for Views and CRED?

Thanks for any insight you can provide on this!

Jay

Quick follow up...

I did find this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/views-output-formats/

This plugin apparently provides JSON and XML output formats for Toolset Views with Taxonomy and User query support... and also fetch all available custom fields for each post.

Is this plugin written by a Toolset Developer??

Jay

And another quick follow up...

I have also found 'Toolset Rest' on github from your developer Adriano.

hidden link

It appears to be for Views only. I'm wondering if this is currently usable on a live application?

If this is an option for the Views end of things, I would still like info on REST API support for CRED, Access & Types.

Thanks!!

Dear Jason,

Views output format is not authored by one of our developers, thus we don't have much informations about the way it works.

We developed instead a basic Toolset REST API where a bunch of end points for:

- Types (fileds, CPTs, Taxonomies);
- Views (Views, Content Templates, VIews Archives);
- CRED (Forms, User Forms and their submission);
- Layouts (fetch Layouts and single layout data).

Most of the functionalities do not require the WP REST API plugin to work, but to have Types full features the plugin is needed.

Hopefully we will include this initial implementation in the upcoming release, or the next one at most.

I hope this helps,
Riccardo

Jay

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

Are you saying that the endpoints for Types, Views and CRED are "baked in" the plugins as is?

I've only seen one reference in Toolset and that's to expose the REST API to a Types CPT... in the CPT options where you check "show_in_rest". There's not much in the way of documentation on it tho. But I've seen no reference to the REST API in any of the other plugins.

Or... when you said:

"We developed instead a basic Toolset REST API where a bunch of end points for:

- Types (fileds, CPTs, Taxonomies);
- Views (Views, Content Templates, VIews Archives);
- CRED (Forms, User Forms and their submission);
"

were you referring to Adriano's plugin on github ( hidden link ) that I posted earlier to add the endpoints and compatibility?

Thanks again!

Dear Jason,

I am referring to the completed work of Adriano, where github code is only a portion of it, but yes.

Adriano completed the work he started with Views endpoints, he refined it and he added endpoints for other Toolset plugins.

His work wasn't merged in the master branch yet, but as soon as it will be tested and especially documented appropriately it will.

I hope this is what you expected, best regards
Riccardo

Jay

Ahh I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up! I really look forward to the implementation into Toolset!!

Any update on this topic?
I'm really interested in using Toolset products with the WP-API

Thanks

Do you have an ETA for toolset supporting WP API? Toolset is a great product and this is a very important feature. I'm sure it's in the roadmap.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.