Skip Navigation

[Waiting for user confirmation] Toolset registration returns 403 when using WordPress User-Agent

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice.

Last updated by Minesh 1 hour, 21 minutes ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author
Posts
#2880763

I am unable to register Toolset on our production WordPress site:

hidden link

The site is hosted on WP Engine and is running WordPress 7.1.1.

When attempting to register Toolset under Plugins > Add New > Commercial, the UI returns:

Unable to parse data from service response.

I connected directly to the WP Engine production environment through SSH and performed several tests.

A standard cURL request from the WP Engine environment succeeds:

curl -Iv hidden link

Result:

HTTP/2 200
server: nginx

I then tested the same endpoint through the WordPress HTTP API:

wp_remote_get("hidden link")

Result:

HTTP: 403
TYPE: text/html

Response:

<html>
<head><title>403 Forbidden</title></head>
<body>
<center><h1>403 Forbidden</h1></center>
</body>
</html>

I was able to reproduce the behaviour using cURL by sending the normal WordPress User-Agent:

curl -i -A "WordPress/7.1.1; hidden link" hidden link

Result:

HTTP/2 403
server: awselb/2.0

Finally, I tested wp_remote_get() again but changed only the User-Agent to Mozilla/5.0.

That request succeeded:

HTTP: 200
TYPE: text/html; charset=UTF-8

Response:

a:1:{s:5:"error";s:49:"Unknown or Unsupported API Call: repository_error";}

This appears to indicate that requests from our WP Engine environment are reaching api.toolset.com successfully, but requests using the standard WordPress User-Agent are being rejected with HTTP 403 before reaching the Toolset application.

Could your systems team please check whether an AWS load balancer/WAF/security rule is blocking requests from our site or WordPress User-Agent?

The affected production site is:

hidden link

Thank you.

#2881437

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

What if you try to go to:
- Pllugins => Toolset Types => click on Register link
- On the commercial page, please de-register the site key if already registered.
- Then click on the "Register Toolset" link as shown with the following Doc and try to register the Toolset again by following the steps given with the following Doc:
=> https://toolset.com/faq/how-to-install-and-register-toolset/#automatic-installation-once-you-have-otgs-installer-plugin-installed

Do you see it working?

#2881629

No it is not working at all ... I still get "Unable to parse data from service response when I register via Plugins -> Toolset Types - > Register. When I try to add the the define within the config file I get Invalid key.

#2881799

Minesh
Supporter

That's really strange.

Can you please share admin access details and let me review your site and check whats going wrong with your setup.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

#2883752

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the admin access details but unfortunately, when I try to access the link it shows the following message:

403 Forbidden

Can you please make sure I can access the site and unblock any geographical restrictions if any.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

#2884394

Minesh
Supporter

Even I cant able to register the Toolset.

When I checked with our systems team our firewall blocked the domain. For now, they unblocked it.

Can you please try to regiseter the site key and check if that help you to resolve your issue.

#2884540

Thanks Minesh ... I was able to successfully register. Can you explain why our domain was blocked and if it will stay unblocked now?

Thanks,

Jeff

#2884912

Minesh
Supporter

It could be possible that due to too many request our firewall has blocked your IP. As its been already unblocked, it will remain unblock and if you have any issue in future, please file a support ticket and we will happy to assist you further.