Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset Blocks probably crashing WP

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that our Toolset blocks plugin was throwing a fatal error on the user's site. Checking their debug data I saw that the user is running the site on PHP version 8

Solution:

Unfortunately we do not have a solution for this one as our Team has not yet announced compatibility for php version 8.

The workaround currently is to revert to a previous version of PHP 7

This support ticket is created 2 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alok Sharma 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi,

I am quite often experiencing the following problem and not with one website but almost all the websites. And it only happens with Toolset Blocks, especially when working with Content Templates, WordPress Archives etc. All the time I have been ignoring these errors thinking that might be momentary, but they keep happening over and again.

In this case, I was creating a WordPress Archive, and then I noticed the Update at the top right was disabled for a long time. When I refreshed the page, the following error:

There has been a critical error on this website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.

Learn more about troubleshooting WordPress.

The WordPress Archive “Archive for WP Themes” that I was creating is not visible in WordPress Archives page. But if you click “Usage for archive loops”, you will find it over there. But as soon as you click on it, you will again get the above error.

And then I get this email:

Hi!

Since WordPress 5.2 there is a built-in feature that detects when a plugin or theme causes a fatal error on your site, and notifies you with this automated email.

In this case, WordPress caught an error with one of your plugins, Toolset Blocks.

First, visit your website (hidden link) and check for any visible issues. Next, visit the page where the error was caught (hidden link) and check for any visible issues.

Please contact your host for assistance with investigating this issue further.

If your site appears broken and you can't access your dashboard normally, WordPress now has a special "recovery mode". This lets you safely login to your dashboard and investigate further.

hidden link

To keep your site safe, this link will expire in 1 day. Don't worry about that, though: a new link will be emailed to you if the error occurs again after it expires.

When seeking help with this issue, you may be asked for some of the following information:
WordPress version 5.8.2
Current theme: GeneratePress Child (version 0.1)
Current plugin: Toolset Blocks (version 1.6.1)
PHP version 8.0.10

Error Details
=============
An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 358 of the file /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/classes/wpv-cache.class.php. Error message: Uncaught ArgumentCountError: array_merge() does not accept unknown named parameters in /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/classes/wpv-cache.class.php:358
Stack trace:
#0 /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/classes/wpv-cache.class.php(358): array_merge()
#1 /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/classes/wpv-cache.class.php(580): WPV_Cache::generate_post_data_cache()
#2 /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/wpv-filter-query.php(220): WPV_Cache::generate_native_cache()
#3 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(303): WPV_View_Post_Query->wpv_filter_extend_query_for_parametric_and_counters()
#4 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/plugin.php(189): WP_Hook->apply_filters()
#5 /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/wpv-filter-query.php(848): apply_filters()
#6 /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/wpv.class.php(2497): wpv_filter_get_posts()
#7 /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/wpv.class.php(2124): WP_Views->render_view()
#8 /sites/*******/files/wp-content/plugins/toolset-blocks/embedded/inc/wpv.class.php(639): WP_Views->render_view_ex()
#9 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/shortcodes.php(356): WP_Views->short_tag_wpv_view()
#10 [internal function]: do_shortcode_tag()
#11 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/shortcodes.php(228): preg_replace_callback()
#12 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(303): do_shortcode()
#13 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/plugin.php(189): WP_Hook->apply_filters()
#14 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/rest-api/endpoints/class-wp-rest-posts-controller.php(1792): apply_filters()
#15 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/rest-api/endpoints/class-wp-rest-posts-controller.php(550): WP_REST_Posts_Controller->prepare_item_for_response()
#16 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/rest-api/class-wp-rest-server.php(1140): WP_REST_Posts_Controller->get_item()
#17 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/rest-api/class-wp-rest-server.php(987): WP_REST_Server->respond_to_request()
#18 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/rest-api.php(495): WP_REST_Server->dispatch()
#19 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/rest-api.php(2832): rest_do_request()
#20 [internal function]: rest_preload_api_request()
#21 /sites/*******/files/wp-includes/block-editor.php(444): array_reduce()
#22 /sites/*******/files/wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php(68): block_editor_rest_api_preload()
#23 /sites/*******/files/wp-admin/post.php(187): require('...')
#24 {main}
thrown

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Alok,

Thank you for getting in touch.

The issue that you're currently experiencing is being caused by php version 8.

Unfortunately we haven't announced compatibility with this version of PHP as yet so you will need to downgrade back to php version 7 in order to maintain compatibility with our Toolset plugins.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I downgraded PHP to 7.4, and I am able to edit the WordPress Archive. That also explains what Waqar had pointed out about some caching issues or the changes taking too long to reflect on the front-end. So I believe it was all caused because Toolset is not yet compatible with PHP 8.

Just curious to know that most of the plugins have extended their support to PHP 8, wondering when Toolset would do the same.

Thanks.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Alok,

I checked on the ticket regarding php 8 compatibility but i'm not seeing an ETA at the moment.

Thanks,
Shane

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.